Is it required to remove the fourth bump for hero EIB/Centurion? [ATA]

I have this ATA helmet I've been working on for what seems like forever. I want to paint over the extra bumps and just leave them there. Is that passable? I know it's stongly encouraged, but is it absolutely detrimental to my approval?

Here's my proposed paint plan. I hope you can see the line, it's faint

MAl4dfA.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

The screencaps I've  been looking at all day show a slight, slight impression of that fourth tooth. Remember the hero helmets had three bumps because the molds were damaged from making fifty stunts before the heroes were made. Therefore, in the heros, a little of that fourth bump remains. Just a little. I know mine are really pronounced, especially on the right side. 

I thought hero helmets were different molds altogether?

Just read this page.

"This is most probably due to the damage to the ear moulds caused by over 50 sets of ears being vac formed from the moulds used. Remember the Hero helmets were made some weeks after the Stunt helmets."

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-hero-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

As for my inquiry... Could I pass EIB/Centurion with these extra teeth?

Edited by bigtrev503

Ah,  I see how that could be confusing.  :56pullhair: I mean the teeth! 

EDIT:As mentioned elsewhere the "hero" look is quite different from the "Stunt" with a lowered frown, bubble lenses and three sets of teeth either side of the frown. In addition, the Hero only has one screw on the central ear section, not two.

Edited by bigtrev503

I believe not as it is one of the main differences between a Stunt and Hero version. There are three options, 1 you buy a Hero lid, 2 you heat and push out the teeth, or 3 you fill the teeth with abs paste or bondo then sand flat. Other differences are the grappling box and comlink but these are not a must for Hero applications although I would think they should be, it is amazing how many hero's are approved without these items.

Well, as far as the grappling hook, that was only seen on one hero, Luke. I think they did it for plot convenience so they could have the dramatic tarzan swing scene showing Luke saving the damsel in distress. It would be funny if they all had them and the troopers descended into places like SWAT ninjas, haha.

Ok, well, you all must understand my concern with this; we're talking about using a tool I've never used before on the FACE of my suit. If I mess it up, I'll have to order a new faceplate and I'm really strapped for cash. I already have the hobby iron (bought at the beginning of build) but I don't have all that fancy sandpaper. I only have 100-200 grit. 

What should I do?

Are there many threads showing people modding their ATA teeth? Glen, I've seen yours, has anyone else done this? I've tried the search function with no results :mellow:

Edited by bigtrev503

All right, no responses for hours so I went ahead and did it. I hope this is passable. It is only the first coat of grey

pTLxzVN.jpg

Thanks for the... views?

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

I would definitely fill in the 4th teeth or use a heat sealing iron to make it flat.

Doesn´t look that good in my opinion.

You say you are afraid to srew it up, but atm this looks screwed up to me :D no offence meant.

As I can see you already found Glen´s thread, so I suggest to take it as a tutorial for your conversion.

Or fill in the hole like Glen also suggested.

All right, no responses for hours so I went ahead and did it. I hope this is passable. It is only the first coat of grey

Thanks for the... views?

I don´t see your problem, that to few people responded to your thread.

Glen said in fact everything necessary.

Good luck with your conversion!

Edited by Minuteman

Sorry Trevor but I have to agree with Steffen even when painted over it just doesn't look right. Using the heat iron can be hard for a first timmer but most of my costuming has been first time hands on, it takes a little practice so grab some scrap ABS and try on that first. I only did the mod to the teeth on my lid as I could not at the time afford a TM hero lid, what is the old saying, necessity is the mother of invention. The heat iron does give you a lot more control compared to a heat gun, and as you are only heating the one tooth you should not damage any of the surrounding lid. Good luck and hope you win :D

I do believe you would be better off to purchase a hero lid specifically.

Well, like Glen said, I can't afford it and not to mention the colors would be off.

I would definitely fill in the 4th teeth or use a heat sealing iron to make it flat.

Doesn´t look that good in my opinion.

You say you are afraid to srew it up, but atm this looks screwed up to me :D no offence meant.

Whoa brutal honesty, I can take it lol ;)  So, in your personal opinion is this ruined or salvageable?

Sure this is salvageable :D Everything is fine

What I would do is:

Read Glen´s advice and thread carefully.

Then take your heat sealing iron, and try it out at a piece of scrap plastic.

When you start to feel familiar with it, then you can move on to your teeth and push the 4th tooth on both sides flat.

Then sanding/polishing if necessary.

Et voilá - an awesome hero faceplate.

You can keep the paint on and when you finish the flattening, then maybe redo it, according to your taste.

Good luck with your project :duim:

Edited by Minuteman

+1 it can be done, it's just a matter of patience, little heat and some sanding, you can do it :D

Edited by gmrhodes13

Okay, but please don't hijack other peoples thread.

Have a look at the "getting started" section.

Lots of information about the different makers available.

Also you can look at current WIPs, cause there are a few people buiding their NE at the moment.

• 2 months later...