First Helmet Build - ANH Stunt - PIC HEAVY [*AP]

Greetings :) So, started my new AP helmet today, didnt get much done as I was out most of the day, and also had to pick up all of the supplies.

The Humbrol lineup

20130501_023127_zps9fbf00d4.jpg

Some assorted paintbrushes from a local craft store that I think will work great

20130501_023038_zps3dee3b3f.jpg

First cutout, was a bit of a wuss and cut much less than I should have (I am going to go ahead and assume that is a classic newbie mistake :P)

20130430_233244_zps6e733010.jpg

New cut! Aaaah, much better (I hope)

20130501_004933_zps3e576130.jpg

20130501_004938_zps3c035be9.jpg

20130501_004945_zps1e326be4.jpg

And then after sanding with 60, 150, 220, 1000 (planning to 2k grit sand, and then polish the entire helmet once teeth are cut out as well)

20130501_022917_zpsa28c95c7.jpg

20130501_022926_zps026fda7d.jpg

20130501_022933_zpsd8de0ce3.jpg

20130501_022954_zps9bdb0a42.jpg

That's all for tonight! More to come tomorrow (hopefuly). If anyone has any comments, questions, suggestions or criticism (just not too harsh xD) then feel free to post =)

Looking good so far. Just a tip if you use a masking template for your tube stripes, first give a white coat as this will act as a base so if any bleeds under the template it will be white, not blue.

Looking good so far. Just a tip if you use a masking template for your tube stripes, first give a white coat as this will act as a base so if any bleeds under the template it will be white, not blue.

Great tip--thanks :) I will be using those templates they're in the post now.

Okay just did the teeth today, too tired to do anything else :P I am now certain there is no way to hold this helmet that isn't completely awkward haha.... Wow these teeth are so hard to try to get perfect, I think it's because they are all shaped differently/weird, can anyone tell me the big tooth in the centre, are it's sides "pinched" in on all helmets making a sort of )( shape for it?

Any suggestions or corrections would be greatly appreciated before I go ahead and paint or something like that xD

File kit

20130501_210847_zpsad870ce7.jpg

What I did to start the teeth was use a thumbtack and pushed it through the centre of each tooth gap to make a pilot hole for my drill because that sucker can take off on you on the shiny ABS, and that's the last thing anyone wants :P I then used the drill to put in two holes on the largest teeth (and connected them with the same bit), and one on the smaller ones... This is the hole you use to cut out the teeth with an xacto blade. I have noticed that the teeth gaps are quite soft in AP helmets, looking at other build threads they aren't as sharp as ATA or thinner helmets, so I pretty much had to invent where I wanted the teeth cut out from movie screens and pictures (I understand that the movie helmets were done in a rush and were far from perfect, so I cant expect anything on these to be!)

20130501_175234_zpscfa36fb7.jpg

20130501_175239_zpse502977f.jpg

20130502_032016_zps9efd97c9.jpg

20130502_032023_zpsba369430.jpg

20130502_032034_zps5fa66ae9.jpg

Edited by Palpatine1977

Mine didn't seem curved in on the teeth but I have an ATA lid, side views look ok. You have done a nice job on the corners, most leave them quite rounded at first. Wait to you get to the ears, I would say they are the worse pieces on all the armor build.

thank you :) yes I prefer the rigid square look for teeth opposed to the softer round shape some people have, both look nice but this is just my preference.... and there is no return on the teeth but because they are all different shapes any picture I take makes it appear that some of the teeth have returns (especially front) :P

haha yes the ears look like a lot of trouble to get lined up, AP has very nice, clear mold lines in the ears but as I understand the originals were quite wonky and not flush, I'll see if maybe I can get them to sit a little nicer.

Cut out the ears today and assembled it to see how it went together.... If im certain of one thing, it is that these helmets are extremely wonky and misfit lol but i think it looks pretty good :)

AP has nice ears, very distinct mold lines

20130502_164159_zps477debbb.jpg

Marked the cut lines

20130502_165116_zpsf2f4c615.jpg

All cut out and sanded, smoooooth :)

20130503_015527_zpse19e42a5.jpg

20130503_015545_zps308b7652.jpg

First test fitting!

20130503_055202_zps82d44a09.jpg

Fits me good :P

20130503_054818_zpsc130bf4b.jpg

Tomorrow I will make some small adjustments on the ear, and attempt to higher the brow a bit, I prefer the look if the higher brows on stunts, kind of like this guy... He is my favourite TK =)

ScreenShot73290_zpsc4ec0fbc.jpg

Any last minute suggestions before I begin painting?

Looking good, nice work on the ears, I agree just move up the brow a little and you are just about done. Tip on using the Humbrol paint is very thin coats if you go too thick the paint will tend to wrinkle when it is drying. Slow and steady wins the race LOL. Going well won't be long now :D

Looking good, nice work on the ears, I agree just move up the brow a little and you are just about done. Tip on using the Humbrol paint is very thin coats if you go too thick the paint will tend to wrinkle when it is drying. Slow and steady wins the race LOL. Going well won't be long now :D

Oh ok cool thanks I will try that. Any advice on how to move this brow up? Seems completely stubborn, the Dave M helmet has a  quite high brow, and by looking at it, I think thats what this one was cast from....

I had a one screw on the bottom sides of the helmet and pulled the brow up then marked the top side holes, drilled, put in a screw and that kept it in place, they can be a bit stubborn.

I had a one screw on the bottom sides of the helmet and pulled the brow up then marked the top side holes, drilled, put in a screw and that kept it in place, they can be a bit stubborn.

Aah, hmmm... Well, I managed to move it up minutely but I'm pretty sure it's inherent to AP helmets, because most of the ones I have seen on here also have pretty low brows. Well, having the ears sit flush pretty much forces the brow to be low so I guess that's what it's going to be lol. Anywho, tonight painted teeth first coat, so it looks very light, will be doing a second coat tomorrow, and I think i am going to make the teeth slightly taller as well.

20130504_011747_zps45e3b81c.jpg

Nice job! I always look at starwarshelmets.com when painting, lots of good closeup shots.

Thanks :) Yup me too that and my personal HD screens folder is what I have used... I am currently waiting on the stencils and S trim to come in, but I can paint the grey areas and the vocoder in the meantime. 

If adjusting the side screws doesn;t work for aligning your browline the way you want, you can always trim a little off the front of the cap. As for the tube stripe templates, if you have a steady enough hand, you can always place the template in its proper spot, then trace each stripe with a pencil. Then just paint each stripe covering your pencil line. Guaranteed no bleed through AND you will get the true hand painted effect. I used this method on this RS Props helmet I did a little while back. 002_zps310ee9ee.jpg

If adjusting the side screws doesn;t work for aligning your browline the way you want, you can always trim a little off the front of the cap. As for the tube stripe templates, if you have a steady enough hand, you can always place the template in its proper spot, then trace each stripe with a pencil. Then just paint each stripe covering your pencil line. Guaranteed no bleed through AND you will get the true hand painted effect. I used this method on this RS Props helmet I did a little while back. 002_zps310ee9ee.jpg

Ya I could try that, I'm not sure if it would be a problem thought since it is the sides that dont match up as well, the sides need to be lifted so i would then be trimming down the traps some >.> Oh ya, that's a good idea thanks for the tip :) Very nice helmet btw, my brow is about 1, maybe 2 mm below what yours is.... my preferred look however is about roughly double, or just slightly less than double the height of your brow, yours looks very nice is it ATA or TM?

Thanks :) Yup me too that and my personal HD screens folder is what I have used... I am currently waiting on the stencils and S trim to come in, but I can paint the grey areas and the vocoder in the meantime.

:duim:

• 3 weeks later...