My Hasbro/Doopy E-11 conversion...

DarthDyer76

Hey everyone... I haven't posted here much, but I wanted to get some feedback on my recent attempt at the Hasbro/Doopy conversion. This was my first attempt at a blaster (or any other prop) build/conversion. It was a little easier in some way than I expected, but some parts were much trickier. I know everyone has their own way of doing it, so I read about two dozen build threads before starting.

I ordered a Hasbro from eBay and my Doopydoo's kit about three weeks ago. The gun came within a few days, but I did not get my little brown box from England until Friday:

QXcgRlH.jpg
srWs1tW.jpg

I opted to take the gun apart, because it might allow easier access to some of the tricky parts (scope rail, sight, etc.) and allow me to lay the halves flat on my work surface.

fy47K2D.jpg

My first task was to take out the screws and pop off the scope covers and the orange barrel cover...

P20OZAh.jpg
UvVTEPP.jpg
vguSaeZ.jpg

Some had quite the trouble getting the rear scope cover off, but I was surprised all three came off pretty easy...
Jd57lhR.jpg977Zubm.jpg

There also was no glue holding down the wires inside the barrel, so I was able to move those out of the way and begin cutting on the end..

snCUyTZ.jpg

FTWCNnW.jpg

Here's where dealing with a (mostly) flat side came in handy for me. I was able to clamp down the gun and cut away with the Dremel..

KCrob20.jpg
AYQWdzx.jpg

Next I cut away the scope rail so I could install my piece of aluminum from Lowe's... it took me a few minutes to find, but there were assorted sizes with the metal dowels. I got a 1/2" wide piece that is 1/16" thick. I don't have a picture of that, since I haven't put that in permanently yet, but that should come tomorrow..

BCVglKl.jpg

And since I had it apart, I wanted to try fixing the trigger to look more in line with the Sterling... I traced from a photo and got this with the Dremel:

x7DkVJx.jpg

I also drilled out the front sight...

zLFf6Ci.jpg
1VFBWQh.jpg

I took a cue from another build about changing the rear scope optic. I'm trying the tape roll/magnifying glass combo.
6IvG7YS.jpg

Of course, here's where it started getting tricky... I sanded off the T-rack on the left side of the barrel and put my hole template in place:

diEIbOd.jpg

PzqZrR4.jpg

I drilled pilot holes with the Dremel, and things were looking good:

W9siD9t.jpg

Then my drill bit (which was the exact size as the existing holes--3/8") decides to start eating the plastic... this picture doesn't do it justice... many foul words were uttered...

ijBCSRI.jpg

So I am attempting to patch that up and redo a couple of the holes... we'll see how that goes... in the meantime, I drilled out the holes on the folding stock Doopy's piece:
BEjrt2S.jpg

So after letting the putty set overnight, I gave the drilling a second shot... not my finest effort, and the drill still wanted to bite... but it looks better than it did...

TCV48Gb.jpg

So I put the two halves back together and installed the scope rail:

VSJiYMe.jpg
cDzQNd6.jpg
BCuJHGC.jpg

Then it was time to start applying the glue and the extra parts:

ybgOlm5.jpg

Some of the pieces were a little tricky to get the glue in the right place AND find a way to steady it so I could get the rubber band on... but I'm pretty pleased so far... now time to dry and then hopefully paint it in the next couple days..

Au6dRLH.jpgunQZZye.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got back around to starting with the paint... I opted for the primer/metallic silver/black method...

First the gray primer:

WsaunRw.jpg
QYw8FMR.jpg

Then the metallic silver:

fWVOcjs.jpg
SlrM4Z1.jpg

And finally the black... took about three coats and some touch-ups to catch all the crevices:

dPD3tAs.jpg
dqn9i2V.jpg

I found some picture wire that I will use for the connection between the cylinders and the Hengstler... I was having a hard time finding wire that would keep its shape and not be so flimsy, but I just happened to find a spool of thicker gauge picture hanging wire and it was perfect! So I curled it, painted it black and am waiting for the blaster to finish drying before gluing those on... hopefully to be done tonight or tomorrow!

For the bolt detail, I found some packaging from one of the kids' toys and cut a piece of thin plastic from it... cutting it to fit the space was trial and error, but I finally got it to fit and glued it down... hindsight, I probably should have glued this before painting, but I think it worked out fine... after it dried, I went over the area with some silver paint..

4rVr2xV.jpg

The wires were next... got those cut to length and bent into the proper direction and glued into my pilot holes I drilled earlier:

tH7plRr.jpg

Some light sanding to show a little of the silver layer for weathering and a few more touch ups with the black, and she'll be ready!

z8t4UbX.jpg

zd7xleF.jpg
OL1ktWq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Most use flat black because it's just the standard... I used gloss black because my ultimate goal is to build a TX-Shadow Trooper... glossy black armor, glossy blaster... I figured it made sense... 

Edited by DarthDyer76

• 6 months later...