My first build RS Stunt helmet

Here's my almost ready first ever stormtrooper helmet build  :duim:  I was lucky enough to get hold of an RS-helmet and there's nothing I can say about the set that hasn't already been said, it is absolutely superb in every way!

I've done all the cutting with a hobby knife and as you can see everything is hand painted. It didn't turn out perfect but neither did the original helmets. Hope I haven't done to many mistakes  ^_^

Should however probably give the frown another go

J8XarJi.jpg

And since I haven't decided whether to keep it white or put dirt on it I haven't painted the traps

Zd352WC.jpg

Thinking of putting googly eyes on the traps  :D

q792cAj.jpg

Pretty terrible tube lines but I actually like them in some odd way

VZWhyd6.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Looks pretty good to me..I was wondering on the tube stripes is that blue smear around the lines? Maybe clean that a little bit and would be perfect..I have a thread on tube stripes with no bleed through in the how to section if you'd care to look..

I was also wondering about the paint. You might want to go back with the gray and fill the centers in bit to thin out the black outlines. They look way thick to me. The tube stripes should be re-done. I am sorry about the brutal honesty, but they look more like bar codes than tube stripes.

Will these be better?

OIWXSVt.jpg

I also took the old tube lines away by gently applying some acetone with a cloth and than smoothing it with some Novus. There are still a bit of paint-gook on there which I'll take of another day. I've sent for a stencil this time  ^_^

18qav0n.jpg

:duim:

Edited by gmrhodes13

An RS helmet is bothan investment and an honor to own. Just trying to make it the best it can be!!!    That looks TONS better. For your tube strips, I would make a sort of template even if it's out of paper. This way you can take your time mapping out each stripe. Cut them out with an exacto knife. Then you can position them correctly. Trace them out and carefully just follow the lines. Just as an example, here is the RS I just finished 3 weeks ago.ArtVYQF.jpgU1TBIjy.jpgJust do everyone a favor.....PLEASE DON'T USE ACETONE AGAIN!!!!!! Left on for a moment too long and that will turn the plastic to toothpaste

Edited by gmrhodes13

Rob and Simon really are superb and what a Lovely helmet you got, wish I could build something like that  ;) And I promise to get the tubes ALOT better next time (I hope)  ^_^  Also I tried the acetone on a couple of waist plastic peaces before applying it to the helmet and I noticed that by putting just a tiny amount of it on and scrubbing the paint diapered pretty well without hurting the helmet to much but thanks for the heads up. 

Use thinner. I'm assuming you used humbrol paints, they have a thinner sold at the same place as the paints. It works great and is very kind on the plastic. Acetone melts plastic. Not something you want to happen to your helmet.

When you get your tubestripe templates, follow BOB-O's tip in this thread: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23204-tip-on-tube-stripe-painting-with-no-bleed-through/

The first time I did my tube stripes - even with a template - they looked like yours.  I erased them and tried the technique above and it worked like magic!

I got the TD stencils from trooperbay the other day and aplied them this evening. I used the way linked above by first applying a layer of white paint and than the blue and it worked perfectly...

---------

On one of the sides...

-------------

I have no idea what happened on this second one, I used the same tactic and everything... I guess I'll have to redo it... again... Also I wonder if it really should look like this, is there something I don't know or why are the two sides SO different? I know that there are differences in number of stripes par side but isn't this to much?

----------

Thanks for the help.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Hmm. I think because you are painting before the ears are on you have more stripes than you need. I'll take a pick of how the stripes turned out on my RS bucket later. I used the trooperbay masking decals too. Can't remember how many I ended up with on each side at the moment.

Here's the left side. There are 14 stripes.

ccSAmwq.jpg

Here's the right side. There are 15 stripes.

L1voVlT.jpg

If these look incorrect in some way, let me know, (those that know better heh)

Edited by gmrhodes13

If you look up the Move Along sandtrooper on starwarshelmets.com and count his tubestripes, you'll see he has an unequal number on each side. I don't remember how many, but the difference is crazy, like 9 on one side and 14 on the other, something like that. I think this is neat and adds character, but I can also see why some would be bugged by it.

Would wash up and repaint the whole helmet.

Otherwise you never will get some clean looking details after your repaint-accidents.

And may watch this first:

Howto paint a helmet ( Part 1 till 9)

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed