first stormtrooper armor

hi guys, im about to get my first stormtrooper armor for cosplay purpose (not for joining 501st) however, im still torn between getting a ready to wear or build it myself. how hard is it to build? i was thinking of getting the new NE armor if im gonna build it myself since it came trimmed so i dont have to trim it.

and one more question, if i get the NE armor, what else do i have to order? for now i know i still need to order the blaster kit, the blaster holder(not sure what isit call), boots(still cant find the link), glove, the inner black suit( not sure what isit call)

oh, im also looking at ap fully trimmed armor.

thanks

Edited by chinti

Hi Chinti, I think that it's going to be fair to say that your project of becoming a stormtrooper will disappoint you if you rush this and don't do your research.

The choice between AP and NE shouldn't be based on whether one armour type is trimmed or not.

The two armour types are designed for totally different sized and shape people.

Depending on your height and body size is a better decision between the brands.

Then choose how accurate or good you wish to look.

What's the cosplay for?

Do you want to be a stormtrooper?

Or a goofy person in a ill fitting stormtrooper suit.

The decision is ultimately yours.

I recommend that you browse through the EIB and Centurion application threads.

You will see all the armour brands in the application titles.

Pictures of each brand with body stats and size in the first post with pictures.

You can see all the components used there too with brand types.

Alot of it depends on what size you are. I'm 6-1, 197. I weighed 217 pounds when I first started wearing my armor, which is AP. It's derived from screen armor, so it was built for a guy around 5-7, 150-60ish. I wasn't really happy with the way it fit when I first put it on, but as I've lost weight it's started looking better....NE is for bigger folks. I considered that as well, but ultimately decided to go with AP, mainly because I was impatient and someone had a kit here for sale. It worked out fine for me.

Yah. I'm 5'9, and 200lbs and currently wear AM... Will be building a new set of NE soon. Guys like us need the larger armor to cover our broad chests, otherwise, it looks.... uncomfortable.

NE can be cut to shorter folks, but is better suited to your frame.

Hi, do you have photo when you first started wearing ap? Ya I know NE is for bigger people but it can still be trim down for smaller people.

As far as I check, most trooper wearing ap is around my height while ne is above 6ft.

Sorry, don't have one nearby at this moment...I will say this, Mathias is correct in saying at 195 it's probably not going to close around your midsection. Even with the weight I've lost, I still have my shims in place on the sides, which I'm fine with. I also had to shim the backs of my thighs and calves, not much, but a little. Also my cover strips aren't entirely screen accurate - if that matters to you.

i'm 5'10 and change and close to 180 and i had to shim my AP, so it definitely sounds like your ab/kidney area would need shimming to close (assuming you carry some girth round the middle). Keep an eye on the various new NE build threads, as they will be a good reference for what you would need to do should you get hat kit.

While deciding and waiting, have a read through all the threads here

Good luck!