RainTrooper’s ATA Build

+1 I had the same issue, I think most of us do the first time, amazing how a few holes, rivets and screws can make a difference :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to a fellow trooper here on the boards (Thanks Andy!), I was able to shave 3 months off my wait for an ATA kit!  
Doin’ the happy dance!   :dancing-trooper:   

96f0bc14-5d1d-40ac-bbbe-1a7da8256a7e_zps

I felt like that kid on christmas morning, 1981.. tearing open my Kenner Death Star playset!

IMG_2491_zpsed0c2c0a.jpg

So, here’s where I’ll be for a while... “I’ll be in the basement, sweetie!†  :P   My local garrison is having their annual armor party/potluck in a little over a week. SO glad I won’t be going empty handed!  I’ll have plenty of folks with plenty of experience to help tackle this beast.   

IMG_2492_zps9d0c80aa.jpg

Born to be a TROOPER!  Just fulfilling my destiny...  :smiley-sw013:

62a08709-64b8-4a6a-a13a-ee1c55b4d07c_zps

• Like 1

Awesome news the total exhilarating excitement, dancing around, singing, jumping but then !!!!!!!!! THE ABSOLUTE PANIC lol, good luck with the build look forward to seeing the progress :D

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to helping you with that kit! It's not as hard as it seems. Also, looking over your kit, you can make the inner drop boxes yourself from the offcut parts of your belt and knee ammo belt. Saves you a little money!

Double edit! It looks like ATA comes with the inner drop boxes now!!! I really got ripped off ordering mine a year ago!

Looking forward to seeing you build this thing. If it goes at all like your helmet did, it will be a piece of cake. Make sure to document every little thing you do with pictures, so people can stop you before you do something wrong. 

On with the pics! :popcorn:

Edited by bigtrev503

I haven’t had a chance to get much more trimming done since the armor party... but I’m just about done trimming the large torso pieces. 
More progress this weekend! 

02d78239-fd93-43fd-be25-02bfb7dd1ec2_zps

• 1 month later...

Damn my lack of progress!!  I've still only scratched the surface on trimming my kit over the summer.  I probably won't get a whole lot done this Fall either, since I've decided to take the plunge and go back to school part-time and still work full-time...  :icon_eek:  Not sure what I've gotten myself into yet, but it's gotta be done.  My goal for TK completion is before Celebration Anaheim, so still plenty of time.  (Sorry, boring post, I know..)  Just wanted to say don't forget about me, I'll be back soon.  I'll try to squeeze in some armor work on the weekends when I can.  Thanks troopers!  :salute:

Sometimes it's better not to rush, take your time so you don't make any mistakes, oh and you have not been forgotten :laugh1:

If you ever need any help, or your dremel back, just let me know! I'm getting closer to finishing, but still might not be done in time for halloween. You going to PSU?

Cool, thanks Trevor! Yeah, I could definitely use some guidance when I get to sizing and gluing cover strips.  I'll let you know when I'm ready to tackle this beast again. :duim:   

I just started a class at the Portland Code School to learn programming and web development.  It's a short program, only 3 months, but really intensive!  

• 1 month later...

Finally solved my helmet padding problem!  After trying the star foam & strap, hard-hat liner, and other pieces of cut foam, these peel-and-stick 2" squares did the trick.  Helmet fits like a glove and doesn't wobble one bit.  Thanks so much Caleb! (emile1138)  
FS thread here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24520-fs-customizable-helmet-padding/

photo_zps216bbbf9.jpg

If you get a good pair of metal shears, you can clip off the ends of those ear screws so they don't bury themselves into your head

Yeah, I definitely need to get something to cut those bolts.  I left the bottom bolts long to attach a chin strap to it, but that wasn't very comfortable.      

• 1 month later...

Thought I’d get the last bit of painting out of the way and finish my ab buttons.   I traced circles from a template onto painters tape, then used an x-acto knife to cut the holes. 

4895192c-2459-462b-9c44-d7c57dddd9dc_zps

After 2 coats of Testors grey #1138, and Blue #1110, they turned out... ok.  There’s a bit of bleed through and a few spots where paint came off as I was taking the tape off.  
I’ll try to clean up that bottom button with some thinner.  How do they look, size-wise?  

IMG_2754_zps4c2bfc99.jpg

I received my bracket package from Darren (Mr. No Stripes) the other day, and I dove right into attaching the chest to the ab/cod piece!  I had a few concerns about using the brackets on an ATA kit due to the small return edges on the butt and kidney pieces. Would the ABS crack too easily? Would it look accurate? My mind was put as ease, thanks again Germain (5thHorseman) and Troopermaster Paul for the tips and the photo references!  Due to the angle of the return edge on the chest (less than 45 degree), I might need to bend the brackets inward a bit.  Once thats done, I think they're going to work great! 

IMG_2769_zps8e8661a2.jpg

IMG_2768_zps61960c22.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Almost done with the arms!  I started with the biceps, but right away made a classic mistake.  Knowing the covers strips on the arms need to be 5/8", I measured and trimmed at 5/16" on the front AND backs of the bicep pieces, making them far too tight when testing them taped together.  

Question:  Since I am unable to butt-join the pieces completely together, how should I go about gluing the cover strips on the back of the biceps?  Should I use wider cover strips, covering the raised flat section, or stay with 5/8" strips and leave a space between the strip and the edge of the raised section?  Is it ok for the back cover strips to be wider than the front? I know I've seen this issue before with thighs and calves, but not with biceps.  

IMG_2871_zps29438a80.jpg

IMG_2859_zpsdca79f2e.jpg

On a positive note, I think my forearms turned out pretty good!  I did what I could with the much larger right ATA forearm by trimming a tad more and gluing the cover strips to the very edge of the flat section.

IMG_2856_zpsd44e1d69.jpg

IMG_2857_zpsbab7afab.jpg

IMG_2858_zps4ef9f5cf.jpg

Glued the shim/inner strip on the right bicep, no problem.  I'll be gluing the 5/8" outer cover strip once this dries.  My left bicep is looking to be a bit more difficult (3rd & 4th photos).  The raised flat section on one of the bicep pieces is not flat, warping upward at the elbow, making in difficult to hold down with clams or magnets.  Would a heat gun be the best solution to flatten/bend this area downward so the cover strip can be glued easier?  

IMG_2883_zps9e13c3eb.jpg

IMG_2884_zps3d769aca.jpg

IMG_2886_zpsfc96e828.jpg

IMG_2885_zpsf31e1557.jpg

Yeah, time to get a heat gun.  The clamp in the bottom photo barely has enough force to hold that corner down.  The warped edge at the other end would need a C-clamp. But, I dont think any magnets would hold it down flush in the middle.  Has anyone else experienced this with the ATA left bicep? or is this maybe just a bad vacu-form pull...??

Edited by RainTrooper