icomm PTT problems

Curious if I'm doing something wrong when pressing the PTT button.

Here's my issue: when I press and hold the PTT button, intermittently yet most of the time, it only toggles the static burst sound. It doesn't "open the line" for me to talk.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I get another PTT cable?

If a video will help demonstrate the problem, I can record one and post here.

I would think most of the problems with the iComm PTT comes from either moisture in the switch or bad wiring. Also, I remember someone having a bad iComm box on here. Jim is a stand-up guy and will help in any way he can with your problem. It may be as easy as swapping out the wire from the switch to the box, or replacing just the switch. If it's similar to the switch shown here:

---------

...Then I would look at the wires that are soldered to it. Are the pins/exposed wires touching when pressed? Again, Jim will take good care of you. I'm just offering up what I know about electronics issues.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Yes mine does the same thing, then I seen that the red led was locked on so no mic only static burst when ptt

have only used this twice, the only way was to switch off then back on? very anoying

Ps: thats with the ballon over the switch to keep moisture out.

Edited by Chivo

• 5 months later...

I know this is old, but I wanted to say this so others might find it just in case. Something you can try at home. Whenever I had the system out, everything laying on the floor it would work flawlessly. As soon as I set it up in my suit for a troop it was nothing but problems. I tried different things  to help but none worked until I had the thought that maybe my gloves were the problem. When I usually set up the PTT, I had it taped to my finger with the button facing away from my finger. This allowed 2 layers of glove material to cusion the button and not hold it well. I turned the button the other way so it faced towards my finger. So now when I press on the button, I push on the back of it and push the button directly into my finger. It was simple as that. My mic system went from being useless to working 95% of the time now. The 5% is mainly from the button slipping out of place so it takes a little fiddling to find out the best position for it, but it is an amazing difference.

• 3 years later...

I have had similar issues with my Icomm. The PTT button would work for three or four clicks, but then it would just give static bursts, work well and then static burst. We contacted Jim and ended up replacing the PTT cable. That did not work so the issue was with the actual Icomm. I recommend if it is not a quick taping fix then contact Jim (at Icomm/voice boost) directly, instead of wasting time tinkering with it. Jim was quick to respond and beyond helpful. Sent out parts in a matter of days. Stayed in contact with us until it was right. He holds pride to his product.