AP armor build Jan. 10 2008[*AP]

What type of helmet did you purchase? I spent two hours at a Sports Authority a few weeks ago and could not find a single helmet where the liner was removable. I then looked to see if I could even make something work, and had no luck. If you are willing to share your finds (you have been awesome at sharing your great work so far, so this might be an unneeded request), I would really like to do the same. I am working on my next bucket for my TD, and I would really like to do something more than the hardhat liner.

Hey Scott,

The helmet I got was a Wilson batting helmet. I am still modifying the liner to complete the fit, but it was completely removable with minus one rivet and a little glue. I havent any further details on it yet, as I am still configuring it. The one you want to get is a youth model. This model will not require as many modifications. I will post some pics when I get completed. Should be tomorrow or Fri.

Jay

The one I used was a Rawlings. The liner was all glued into the helmet and I just carefully separated the padding from the helmet. None of the places where it was originally glued will show when its inside your helmet. Mine looks terrific. It was 10 bucks at Wally World.

What type of helmet did you purchase? I spent two hours at a Sports Authority a few weeks ago and could not find a single helmet where the liner was removable. I then looked to see if I could even make something work, and had no luck. If you are willing to share your finds (you have been awesome at sharing your great work so far, so this might be an unneeded request), I would really like to do the same. I am working on my next bucket for my TD, and I would really like to do something more than the hardhat liner.

Ok, here are some pics of my, I think finished helmet. Liner pic also included. Let me know what you all think.

Ok, Helmet complete as shown in the previous photos. Please let me know what everyone thinks. I tried to complete the hardest part first, I think.

I painted most of the helmet, and used the automotive pinstripe method to outline some of the gray. The lenses are from a Johnson face shield #3 green, fusion flat black inside, Stompers unfinished Hovies just as a sizer till the speaker version is ready to install along with a RomFX kit.

I do have a question though. The helmet fits tight, I know, but can the front of the helmet be trimmed out anymore to allow for better head movement forward?? I have attached pic for reference.

You can trim more of the neck, but remember that your rubber may end up being too short!

By the way, it turned out really sharp man!

Thanks Mike, I will first see if I can find this rubber anywhere. Your right it will be to short if I take anymore out. The most part that hits is the front. Makes it hard to look down. Feels like a stiff neck. I supposed that is the way it is??

I am doing the other armor the old way... I cut the strips for the legs, and arms. I am putting this one together the original way. Will take some time... Jay

Oh, I thought you were talking about not being able to pull it off and on easily. I wouldnt trim anything else off if thats what you are referring to. I dont think it would help anyway. As far as looking down, well,... welcome to troopin'! I cant tell you how many close calls I have had while wearing my armor. You basically cannot see anything below 20 or 30 degrees. `Children that are about waist height are almost invisible. You kind of have to bend at the waist when you look down.

Assembling the armor with strips is the only way to go! :)

Ok,

I have finished the legs, and arms. One problem encountered... The forearms were both for the left arm, and the upper arm for the right side. I have emailed AP, and been told that this was normal, that the molds only had one side in the originals to go from. Has anyone else had this problem?? with the arms...of any set of armor.. I will have to trim to make look right. Will have to work I suppose.

Also anyone let me know if both legs look ok. If there is something I should change let me know.

Looks good. The only thing I would say to look out for is the fit. Did you fit these bad boys before you started gluing????

Uhhh, I am not sure what you mean entirely. I did clamp them up and put them on over top boots, and checked the thigh pieces for height. Everything seemed to fit that way. As for the width. I am going to have to use some foam inserts in places to keep from being to loose, unless there is something else I could do. I am a little guy. 5'9" 140. Let me know.

Hey, please someone help. I am in a standstill here. I have bounced my head off the wall trying to figure out the best way to put this armor together, I mean on the last end of the build, the straps, and things used to hold it all together. I have tried snaps and they work, except for the elastic in which when it stretches pulls the snaps thru. Any ideas to combat this?? I am having trouble with the back and chest, and the ab plate and back. Having problems finding ideas on putting together.

Hey, please someone help. I am in a standstill here. I have bounced my head off the wall trying to figure out the best way to put this armor together, I mean on the last end of the build, the straps, and things used to hold it all together. I have tried snaps and they work, except for the elastic in which when it stretches pulls the snaps thru. Any ideas to combat this?? I am having trouble with the back and chest, and the ab plate and back. Having problems finding ideas on putting together.

Check out this thread:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=2220

I used this method of attachment while rigging up the back/chest, etc. and it worked out GREAT. No need for suspenders and it's very easy to put on and take off. My system is virtually identical to the photo that Troopermaster posted of his. It is a very good method.

Ok guys and gals, I am almost complete. Used alot of leather, velcro, and snaps.

Spent hours of research finding what I felt to be the best things you all have used and rolled them into one. It really is turning out well. Many thanks to all.. I do have one more question though.

On the thighs, I cut out behind the knee to give some space to bend my leg. But how do I combat the thigh jabbing into my hip when sitting or bringing my leg toward my chest? Can I cut more of the top arch, or no.... I am 5'9" and am in the process of final fit. I will post all the pics I can on Monday upon completion. and explain my madness.

I will be completing the canvas belt that jedi gave plans for this weekend and then only have left the blaster which I have ordered all the stuff for and the Romfx which is ordered and paid for and Stompers speaker hovies to complete. I have had so much fun, that I will probably do another... Make it maybe a sandtrooper... Never can tell... I have alot more friends interested around here now.

Ok, here goes.

I have been over and over, and am still working on my armor.

I am attaching pics of what I have so far. I am actually complete but keep changing things to better fit.

Let me know what you think

I am still waiting on my holster, and parts for blaster but other than that all here.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, been a couple of weeks. Was hoping to have something to show.... but.....

HAAAA, well nothing to show because I changed my mind after finishing. My armor is now taking on a TD sandtrooper.... Well not bad news because at the last minute my wife changed her mind and let me purchase a set of TE2 armor which is now on order and in waiting..

I the mean time I am working on weathering, and belts, E-11 and heavy blaster.

Keeping my self busy waiting, tick tock, tick tock.

Will keep you all up to date as progress begins.