ABS Difference in Colour

For those of you who want to mix and match armor or even ABS sheets from different makers be aware that the colour can be quite different. Here is my hero belt and grappling box, the camera flash really brought out the difference in the colour of the two, it is not this bad to the naked eye but it is noticeable.

LFa7upa.jpg

This is the difference between ATA and TM, the belt and drop boxes are ATA and the grappling box is TM.

Perhaps some of you who have pieces from different armor makers can post some photos so they can also be compared.

Perhaps it has something to due with UK vs USA plastics. I noticed my hero ears from John Danter were slightly cream colored compared to my AP helmet. (Oh wait AP is Canadian). I've also had TM ESB handplates and those had a bright white/blue tint to them.

Yes the shade can vary even if it is from the same supplier. It all depends on what Bach it came from. A batch could be a thousand pounds worth of melted ABS in a drum them rolled out to what ever thickness is required.

Think of it like you just went to a paint supply store and ordered a gallon of a custom mixed paint. Then went back the next day to get more because you didn't have quite enough, the chance could be that the next gallon you get could be slightly different.

Kevin W.

• Like 1

Glenn, you are right about different makers and different shades but you have picked a rather unique ABS to use as a comparison.

The TM 1.5mm is nothing like anything else out there, and nothing like any of the other makers have ever offered in the past or are currently offering with their suits (trust me, I've built every flavour that you can think of and..... THEN SOME B) )

The colour and physical nature of the 1.5 is very close to the originals which really does require you to re-think how you look at a set of armour and throw away all those misconceptions of the 'zingy-zangy-ultra-shiney-white' stormtrooper suits that we have all come to except as our vision of the 'real thing'

Here's a compare shot with the 2mm AC

bmmJCY1.jpg

.....and here's a couple of shots to show just how different it can look in different lighting situations

GlQTyhU.jpg

uF3nSBR.jpg

As I said, you're right to highlight that there can be many variables in the hue and tone of the white ABS used by the different makers, some are vastly different but there's also many out there that you can mix 'n' match with and the blend is not as noticable as you have tried to illustrate here.

:)

Here are some pic's with the RS PVC up againt the 2MM AC ABS TM Junior , I think it's great to show how different ABS and other plastic's coraspond to other's including the PVC for getting the best white you prefer .

I really do love the TM SHINY 1.5 ABS such a vitnage on screen colour as Billy said nothing quite like it :)

With Flash

xxY9bog.jpg

Without Flash

uMlNzgf.jpgeUO4j1y.jpg

With out flash again

HoIpiIa.jpg

• 4 years later...

My armour is from TK Armour UK and has a definite blue tinge to it. Some HIPS I bought to 'patch up' is a creamy white. All the paints I've used so far also have that creamy tint. This is a problem because I've made a replacement chest piece and can not find a suitable 'blue white' paint for it. Mixing my own shouldn't be to big a problem but I like the sound of my own voice ;)