How to remove glue? :s

Tolo

Hello,

I have bought a used armor (very very good price). The armor itself was glued with ABS glue and so are the snaps. I would like to remove old snaps that don't belong where they are. Is there a way to remove that glue without scrapping my armor?

Thanks for your help

Eric

If you could post pics it would help, most glue removal solvents are very strong and could melt the armor, because it is meant to disolve what it is put on. Make sure it is not a real problem because you don't want to ruin it and start from scratch and learn an expensive lesson.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I will post picture soon. Pretty much the whole armor is assembled and glued with ABS glue

The snaps are fixed on a piece of HIPS and glued on the armor.

Yeah I tried that. I'm scared to break my armor. I managed to take my shoulder strap out, but, that's it.

I have to say one thing, in the past 2 months. I have ask alot of questions and people here are very nice in helping me out. This is much appreciated from a newbie.

Edited by Tolo

Use a heat gun - not on max - apply heat carefully and you should be able to get the bits apart without any problems.

The glue should be able to be peeled off, as if it it were never there.

• 1 month later...

Hate to bump a couple month old thread, but the heat method worked for me! Got a used set of FX armor including the helm (I know, I know) which was in BAD shape. Heated up all the glue on the helm and was able to slide a blade through it all to separate it. Now it's back to basics so I can try to get it looking less crap. :)

Hate to bump a couple month old thread, but the heat method worked for me! Got a used set of FX armor including the helm (I know, I know) which was in BAD shape. Heated up all the glue on the helm and was able to slide a blade through it all to separate it. Now it's back to basics so I can try to get it looking less crap. :)

I did try the hairdryer, but, it did not work. I'm scared of using my heat gun. The problem with the ABS cement is that it makes ABS melt and fused together. I will retry and be less chicken about it.

P.S. By the way, cheap price for an old FX armor here too lol.

Edited by Tolo

I'd just put on a good set of gloves and work carecully with a blunt butterknife.

start in the center of the snap plate and use even and slow pressure.

be careful or you might wrinkle the outside from too much pressure on the inside.

a blunt blade helps to keep it from sticking or cutting... you just want to pry gently.

don't bend the knife back and forth.... just use it like a blunt chisel

don't slide it in, and then bend up... just push the blade under and then use a sawing

motion to let the small little knife edges on a regular butter knife to

cut the plate off from the inside.

by starting at the center, you're releasing the snap first. then just carefully slide to the

edges.

using HEAT is a very bad idea when dealing with armor and a snap plate.

imagine the snap heating up first, melting a circle in the outside of the armor

and then when you pry it off, it makes a hole!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Well for the snaps, I managed to cut the head of them and sand them down with the dremel. My problem is that I want to separate my thighs, they are overlapped. If I can separate them and install a shim in front like they are suppose to be, (I need to do the same thing with the biceps) I will gain an extra inch and it would be a lot more comfortable for the bigger me lol.

I will post a picture very soon Karin.

Edited by Tolo