ATA Armor Build for petit 5'1" Female

Vader1

I have build many sets of TK armor for big guys and average size guys. But, this young lady's armor will be a challenge as she is 5'1' and about 105lbs. Think Femtrooper Julie size but this girl wants to wear regular TK armor. I will post some pics as the build progresses. I have finished the initial trimming of the kit. Now the down sizing is to begin.

I saw the other thread of trimming the shins, thighs, abs and chest. I will also have to reduce the biceps and forearms.

Any input or suggestions welcome.

Edited by Vader1

I've put a call for help through to my good friend Merrilea (TK-9735)

She's like 5'nothing, and should be able to help you

Hopefully she'll show up soon with some pointers for you (she's not online everyday, but I spammed her through Failbook and our Garrison forum, so she should get the message)

Edited by Darth Furious

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay in a reply. Well here is our finished trooper. As we were in a rush to get her armor finished for the con we didn't take a lot of pictures of the build. Ab plate was cut in two places and shorten. 2 inches removed from top of thighes, 1.5 inches from bottom of calves, biceps and forearms 1 inch on each side and were heated to curve to fit her arm. 1 inch off bottom of chest plate. I think that is all. LOL!

EdICIQA.jpg

EISpxws.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

She did not join the 501st.  One of the other build tips I should add.  The biceps and forearms were much too large for her.  Go to Lowe's or Home Depot.  Ask for for a couple of the 5 gallon paint stir sticks, they are longer and thicker than a 1 gallon paint stick.  After you cut the length on the bicep and forearm to fit her.  Take the paint stick cut it to about 1 inch wide clap this to the edge of the forearm armor as you will need to make a new flat edge to glue.  Then cut 2 pieces the same length as the part you need to bend.  Clamp the 2 pieces on the forearm.  1 inside and 1 outside.  Evenly place the clamps apart from the edge and each other.  Then get a heat gun, hold the armor piece so the weight of the clamps will bend the ABS as it softens.  Very carefully pass the heat back and forth along the full length of the piece to heat it evenly and slowly.  As the piece begins to bend under the weight of the clamps back off on the heat.

If you have a few scrap pieces of ABS I would pretest the heating and bending if you are not used to this method.  This will give you a good idea of how long to heat the piece before it will bend.  Depending on your heat gun, start with a medium to lo heat.  ABS melts at 221F or 105C.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your new flat shim cover edge tip.  I know folks use a similar technique to create small bends in the belt and right thigh ammo piece, but might not have thought about doing it for a larger bicep or forearm piece.  Another option if you have a sealing iron is to create one similar to how folks typically use them for new return edges.