Shoulder strapping spacing

How much room or how long should the under-strapping(shoulder) on the chest and back pieces be? Here's my problem. I made them and fitted them and the front fits great, but the back piece gaps when worn(around the shoulder blade area). When I pull the strapping forward, it corrects the gap. I've seen some screen captures and some picts on this site, where the individual has little to no gap between the front and back pieces where it meets on the shoulders. One problem I have is that if I shorten that distance, I cannot fit my head through the opening. Do I need to make it short enough so that there is no gap in the back piece when resting on my body? Or is something else going on?

Is putting the chest and back on like a t-shirt easier than other methods? Have you tried it this way? Go to 7:38 in the video. Adjust the straps to where it fits well, then have the back snap to the chest.------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Here's a great reference thread on how TM builds one of his own kits. You can see the spacing of the shoulder straps on page 2:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19340&hl=tm%201.5&st=20

However, the spacing may vary depending on manufacturer and body size