Calves rear connection

Dday

So I'm looking at an issue for my calves, they won't close.

I see that ideally they aren't sealed in the back anyways but rather connected via a hook and elastic like in the Tantive raid.

Can I be approved with calves that don't seal in the back? What about EIB?

Should I shim to close them for approvals?

You can't be approved if they don't close as far as I know. Unless your GML is a bit lax.

If you add a piece of ABS on the inside of the shins that extends across the gap and then a piece on the outside of the shins that does the same, you can put velcro on them and have then close that way.

I would put up pics to demonstrate but I am on my phone atm. I'm sure someone will chime in with pics or other alternatives. :)

If you can afford it, (please don't take offense, just trying to remain nuetral) I would get in contact with some of the manufacturers about new calves. I know ATA has great prices on his individually sold parts, and he's pretty quick too.

He doesn't need new shins... O.o all he needs to do is use the cover strip + velcro system.

Cut 4 strips of ABS about 20-25 mm in width, put two on the outside of the outer shin pieces with about half or more of their width hanging over the gap.

Then put the other two strips on the inside of the inner shin pieces with about half or more of their width hanging into the gap.

Stick white velcro on both pieces and voila, the gap is covered the shins are connected. This method basically makes it look like you have cover strips but they are really a cleverly disguised connection.

That should work because the gap at its widest doesn't look all that big from the photos.

Edited by Spectre

Well he has the double left shin problem that alot of people tend to have lately with the FX. Those type shins also seem to be quite small. As a runner I have very large calves, and I had this same problem when I had the FX armor. However, when I went to correct lineage shins, the problem went away. Also, new ones would be more accurate and molded for the individual leg so they would, therefore, look better and fit better. I just gave my opinion, no one is holding a gun to his head...

Edited by TK5492

I was on my phone, didn't even realise it was FX. :wacko:

Sorry Tyler, I acted like a bit of male genitalia there. It's not my place to judge someone's opinion. My apologies. :salute:

Replacing them would definitely fix the double left shin issue (which I hear is really annoying to deal with) and could fix the gap.

As a long-term solution buying new shins might be the best way to go, but in the short-term if you want to get approval as soon as you can you could just try this.

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

In addition to Spectre's suggestion: I think cover strips for the calves can be up to 2,5cm width and to be honest, I've seen approved armor with even larger coverstrips.

You can just estimate it but you can see the left trooper's right cover strip pretty good in this screen cap and I think this cover strip is around 2,5cm width.

hZB9lWZ.jpg

This might buy you some additional millimeters to get rid of any gap on your calves.

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

True that. :) The movie ones were 20-25mm I believe, but as Pat said some troopers that have monstrous calf muscles resort to using bigger ones, up to about 30-35mm in some cases.

How big is the gap at the widest point btw Derrek?

I haven't' measured the gap but it isn't more then 15-20cm. I think my best bet is to do the over/under to get a seal.

Thanks to everyone for chipping in and for the photographic evidence to support the fix.