Boot wear and maintenance

So I've trooped my TK (AM) about 6 or 7 times. I started with new TK boots. They are showing some wear right where the grieves rub.

I've dremel'd the grieves a bit this weekend and put some velcro on the edges to pad the contact point.

Any other advice?

Can the boots by dyed (i.e. Tandy) as more of this surface wears off?

Is this pretty much normal?

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The same wear and tear is happening to my boots. I've trooped with them only twice. I think it is a good idea to make sure to have smooth bottoms at the edges of the lower leg armor and add some material at the bottom (ie velcro or felt). I think you could repaint the worn areas on the boots if it bothers you that much. It takes awhile to acquire TK boots so I understand your feelings about wanting to care for them :duim:

Hey Gep!

I literally velcro my boots to my shin - keeps them straight and I haven't had this issue you're showing right now.

I might try this. I assume you stuck velcro directly to the boot to accomplish this?

I'm not sure how Keith has his setup, but this is what mine look like. I have soft velcro on the inside of the shin and rough velcro sewn to the boot straps. The velcro travels almost the height of the shin, keeping it pushed down and stationary. These two parts literally become one piece. I have foam placed on both boots to keep the sniper plate forward and prevent it from going into the thigh, but also because I'm skinny and want all the parts to fit snug. You don't really need foam on your right shin, and if you do I recommend placing it in the back. That will move the shin backward and prevent it from hitting the boxes on the right thigh. I've done 100+ troops (and many bar/club adventures) and my TK boots are still going strong. I've never done any repairs or touch ups on them. If you need to repaint or touch up I recommend Nu-Life leather/vinyl spray paint. Also, and I'm sure you've done this, loose all return edges on the bottom of the shin. You want as little as possible rubbing up against the boots.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks Tim. Yeah, I removed the RT on the bottoms. I think I ultimately may need to trim about 1/2" of plastic from the bottom of the grieves.

After wearing it and thinking about the feel, I realized the problem is that the front and back of the grieves come down just a shade too far and hit the curvature of my foot.

This is creating 2 rub points and a lot of discomfort.

I like your solution for keeping them lined up with the Velcro on the boot!