Helmet upgrades: wireless amp, external sound pickups, fan, padding and more

Who would have known 3 years ago when I first posted my video and later tutorial that EAS would become an almost standard part of people's KIT! Very cool!

Unfortunately, I never did find the time nor resources to develop it into a kit I could offer, but, I'm glad Skyminer was able to put together his own incarnation of such a system and make it available to the troops! Very cool!

If I had more time, or trusted my fingers better, I'd probably have followed your instructions as best of my ability. But, since I've never done anything electronic like that, I'm glad I was able to find various other resources for these. All inspired from the earlier greats like you :)

-shnar

I saw the canakit, and found a single board version that was pretty easy to put together, thinner soldering iron would have helped.  I'm happy with it.

Super Stereo Ear Project Kit 

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/80-7352 

Good luck with your helmet upgrades, can't wait to get my bucket.

Cashew

Sure I recheck the link, and now it's out of stock.  :huh:  Glad I got mine.  :peace:

Edited by Cashew

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone tried to connect mic to a bluetooth transmitter? I saw a good article about this setup.

http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2011/03/20/35-wireless-bluetooth-setup-works-great/

I was thinking about it for the connection mic>(mic amp needed in the middle?)>bluetooth transmitter and bluetooth receiver>iComm

Any idea or anyone who tried something similar?

• 1 month later...

I've got an EAS, Echo fans, UKSWRATH's Hovi tip speakers, and a Rom/FX All installed in my helmet. If I use the Hovis, there are no wires in my neck seal, and everything is contained in my helmet.

In the picture below, you can see most of the installation.

11155149_947132021975402_372758923451270

This was taken during the Hovi Speaker installation, that's what the wires are hanging in the picture. You can see he EAS green speakers, and the Echo fan batteries up higher, and on the left, the EAS board, it's batteries, the Rom/FX battery and the Rom/FX board from L to R. Beneath all of that, you can see the Echo fan bracket.

• Like 1

I was very tempted to get a Hovi mic as well, but by the time I saw them, I had already ordered the iComm + wireless mic. The Hovi Mics are cool because then everything is contained in the helmet, and you don't need that external amp/speaker. So, for example, you could wear the helmet with something other than the armor (like a tuxedo) and still sound Stormtrooper-y. The only thing that would make this *perfect* is if you could rig the Hovi Speakers up to a rotary switch so that the hovis could control the on/off and even volume of the speakers (both voice and ears). But I digress...

I don't have my bucket yet (it's an Anovos kit, so sometime this winter) but once I do I'll post pictures of installing everything.

-shnar

P.S. I've edited my "bundle" post for the link to ukwrath's selling thread for the Hovi Mics/Speakers.

Edited by shnar
  • Like 1

Well the cool thing is Ina couple weeks I will have a amp up for sale that will work with the iComm and my speakers. There'll be a PTT option also.

• Like 2

The helmet is self contained. There are AA or AAA battery packs for the various electronic devices (there's 2 for each fan, 4 for the EAS, and I think a 9volt for the wireless mic). That's assuming you use the wireless mic option. And then you put padding over all the wires, so none of the wires are 'visible' and don't get accidentally entangled in anything.

-shnar

Thanks for sharing the pic Dark.  How are the electronics attached to the helmet?

Industrial Velcro. All the way around. LoL.

For my setup, there are only three batteries for the EAS, and the mic is wired so the 9V is strictly to run the ROM/FX overall. All of my wiring is hidden behind the bracket for my Echo fans.

I'm currently waiting on my EAS for my helmet so i can hear outside my clone 1.5 arc trooper helmet and planning on having the mic tips i got on the front of the bucket and then get the wireless mics so i can do what was suggested in the video.

Here is what I'm getting for $100.00

10469776_657290204387568_316965037140293

10806290_656864274430161_180856441665409

This is what I'm planning on making this inside my helmet and being my arc helmet has a fin i'm putting a red 3mm light in it.

Edited by KlausDragunov1
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...