Ironic, isn't it?

General Fidelis

It recently occurred to me that the designs of replica clone trooper and stormtrooper costumes are almost completely opposite from one another. Bear with me here.

After spending almost a year piecing together my clone, the desire has always been to make everything perfectly symmetrical and uniform. Since there was never an actual clone costume built by ILM, costumers must work hard to turn fan-made (usually lumpy and irregular) piceces of plastic into CG qulaity, perfectly symmetrical armor. Doing it "right", requires a lot of time trimming, gluing, Bondo'ing, sanding, filling, sanding, etc..

The ironic part of this is that here, everyone is trying to make their armor asymmetrical. :mellow: I was suprised to learn that a more symmetrical ROTJ helmet was turned it into a less symmetrical ANH bucket. :blink::lol: I understand that the real ANH sculpt was asymmetrical and that's what folks are going for, screen accuracy. I'm all for it. It just seemed odd to me that, to be as screen accurate as possible, this time around I'll want to be crooked. :huh:

I'm sure this has come up several times, but I'm curious as to what the you TK enthusiasts think.

If ILM had the technology then that we have now, would the stormtrooper armor be perfectly symmetrical or not?

After all, humans are asymmetrical, so why wouldn't their armor be the same? Was this planned from the beginning or just a limit of available technology?

Vader is a good example of what I'm talking about. Back in the day, he was lopsided. Today, he's not.

Please share your insights with a noob.

Semper,

General Fidelis

I'm no expert, but I'd hazard that if ANH was produced today, stormtroopers would be entirely digital and completely symmetrical.

But I really like the asymmetry of the ANH helmets. I remember an art teacher admonishing us students that painting/drawing was not about how precise we could render something - that's what photography was for. It was the unevenness, the line, and the feel that made art... art. In the ANH helmets, I appreciate the unevenness of the tumblehome, the asymmetry of the cheek tubes, and the stye in the right eye.

I also think the asymmetry created a better character on film. As helmets turn from full to 3/4 views the asymmetry adds a dynamic that I suspect would have been missing if symmetrical (static) helmets had been used.

Now ignore everything I have said, and listen to the experts....

Agree with Kevin - today they'd be perfectly symmetrical. Actually some folks do prefer that look, and thus prefer RT or TM armor as it's closer to "what was intended" than "what was used on screen". They are two different goals, and one is not "better" than the other. Fortunately for us, both armor types exist. :)

Guest Bezerkus

I'm no expert, but I don't think it was possible to make the helmet perfectly symmetrical without a CNC machine. At least not with the time and $ that they had. I think it could have even been sculpted a little more symmetrical if it hadn't been such a rush job and in my non-expert opinion they didn't intend it to be wonky. It IS interesting that they didn't always choose the left and right parts to be identical on the armor. They just thought no one would notice during the film, which I doubt anyone did when they first watched it. Like Kevin said, I'm glad it turned out as it did as I love the nuances of the asymmetry, but I only noticed after I got into helmet collecting years ago. I'm still amazed at how at how great the original sculpt was, how much detail there is, and how changes to any one or two details to try to sanitize it can really affect the overall look.

food for thought:

Asymmetrical beings are better suited for adaptation and survival than symmetrical beings. Humans are asymmetrical-I read that somewhere....dont remember where but its one of those things that you run across by chance and it just becomes a mental note.

food for thought:

Asymmetrical beings are better suited for adaptation and survival than symmetrical beings. Humans are asymmetrical-I read that somewhere....dont remember where but its one of those things that you run across by chance and it just becomes a mental note.

Hmmm thats an interesting concept, and everything we know, do, and believe in are pre-conditioned concepts, just another item i kept a mental note of also ;)

: I was suprised to learn that a more symmetrical ROTJ helmet was turned it into a less symmetrical ANH bucket.
The ROTJ was not symmetrical... ?

You sound like my CO - he always says it should be symmetrical because that's how the Emperor would have made his army...or something stupid like that... :P

The ROTJ was not symmetrical... ?

I know, but it looks more symmetrical than the ANH/ESB bucket due to the face collapse. Does it not?

You sound like my CO - he always says it should be symmetrical because that's how the Emperor would have made his army...or something stupid like that... :P

Actually, you bring up a good point. Were the helmets intentionally built asymmetrically or was that aspect not supposed to be noticed and overanalyzed by sicko fans (like me)? Wish could ask Brian Muir.

I think it would be a cool in-universe back story to have the Emperor hand pick an artist and appoint him/her/it as Imperial Sculptor. There could then be some sort of background story about how an aymmetrical "face" is more menacing or something like that. I say that, because I do believe GL would have wanted pefectly symmetrical helmets/armor for all imperials if he had the choice back then. That was kinda the point with using the uniform, individual-less aspects of the Nazis.