Wood & PVC DLT-19

Since I have time on my hands after my E-11 build and don't know when my Hasbro kit will (ever) arrive, I started back on my DLT-19 project. I used the templates found on Empire Props and after doing a sloppy job on the receiver I shelved it (not totally my fault-using hand saws & rasps...straight lines do not happen that easily). This will be a trooping toy only, so while there is a LOT that can be added as far as details, I'm just going with some basic stuff. Only one phone pic - will try to get more uploaded later with a proper camera.

One challenge I have had so far is the stock. Following the template, it called for 3 pieces of 3/4" hardwood sandwiched together...and it is HUGE. I have it cut down to a rough shape, but it needs to taper from the receiver end to the shoulder mount...and as I said, I have a rasp...there is a lot of material that needs to be taken off (as you can see in the picture). But, it needed that much wood to match up to the receiver. Connecting the two has its own set of challenges, as the hole for the pvc-to-pvc connection I was originally going to go with is off-center. Hand drill with a 1-1/4" spade bit did not go well...

dlt-19progress051912.jpg

I got a sheet of 1/16" steel today that I will attempt to fabricate as a cover for the feed tray on the receiver. As I said, it won't be very canon, but just something else to carry around and 'pew-pew-pew' with. What is not shown (yet) is the bipod and muzzle - paint is drying, maybe tomorrow.

Edited by boomshakra

With a little work and determination using a coping saw and bastard rasp, I got some work done on the stock.

dlt-19stockright.jpg

dlt-19stocktop.jpg

There is plenty to be done - the middle area needs to be cut down a LOT, plus smoothing out the grooves left from the drill. I cut too deep on the right side towards the top, and there isn't much I can do with it but smooth around it.

The off-set barrel hole

dlt-19barrelhole.jpg

and the off-set stock hole

dlt-19stockhole.jpg

Nothing I can do with those, but once it is all painted it isn't terribly obvious. With the barrel, I can push the PVC connector down flush to the face of the receiver and it straightens it all out - flush & perpendicular...but off-set. I have some ideas as to how to attach the stock, so that will work out one way or another.

Detail on the grips:

dlt19grip.jpg

That wood is thirsty! First coat of hammered black over a primer coat (probably should have used 2 on primer). I'll add another coat or two of hammered and probably leave it at that. The rest of the blaster will get a coat of flat black over the hammered - I like how it turned out on my E-11.

dlt-19paintedgrips.jpg

Edited by boomshakra

I was going to leave the area forward of the feed channel alone...but decided to trim it down and try to shape it more like the MG-34...Limited by my tool selection, this will be a tedious (at best) exercise, but good for experimentation if nothing else.

First I cut notches down the area to be trimmed down:

dlt-19notches.jpg

Then came back and cut out the notches. Since I am using a coping saw, it helped me go a bit straighter to cut the notches out instead of going the length I wanted to remove:

dlt-19cuttingnotches.jpg

Still very rough. Started filing down the groove on the right side. I will probably cut a dowel in half and glue it on for the desired effect:

dlt-19groove.jpg

There is a 'notch' that goes on the left side that I started on using a chisel, but I need to be very careful cutting that out.

Oh, and here is the detail of the PVC muzzle:

dlt-19muzzle.jpg.

I couldn't get a mouthwash bottle top to fit, so I am using the end of a Dr Pepper 20oz bottle (for now)

Thanks - it is going to be a very rough replica when it is all said & done - it has stimulated my creativity, no doubt about that! Should I ever fabricate another one I'll know what to do up front to save me some labor...like cutting straight lines. My dad is bringing me his belt sander when he comes up this weekend, so that should help with getting the stock shaped down. I have callouses on top of my callouses from all the rasping I have done so far :). But, once I get a few things finished up here & there that I started last night, it is coming together better than I expected (off-set holes notwithstanding). We'll see how it goes with the metal top-cover I am planning to cut sometime this week - that should be interesting...

Looking forward to seeing more of this buld.

And +1 for the Rev. Horton Heat sticker for the win

Isaac

True dat - was hoping to catch him at the Revival in Austin this weekend, but it isn't looking like that will happen :(

I haven't done any more receiver work and the stock is a temporary joining (obviously haven't done any more work on it, either). I'll have access to a belt sander this weekend, so hopefully I'll have some progress to report. The middle clamp and bolt for the bipod have since been painted black.

Ugly_ass_DLT19_052212.jpg

I can't stand the way that bottle top looks for the muzzle...that will be replaced soon!

Edited by boomshakra

The belt sander helped tremendously in removing material...in some spots a little too much. I didn't smooth everything out as well as I wanted to, but I have another stock/receiver waiting in the wings, so I plan on being more precise with that one. For now, I just want to get this one done...so much for the patience I had when building my E-11!

You can see that even sanded down, the proportions of the stock and receiver are off...the templates I used are a little suspect, so next time around I'll try to get better measurements before I start cutting everything down. First coat of primer on:

primereddlt19stock.jpg

And painted the pistol grip as well. This will stay flat black, the grooved grips that will go on here are hammered black so they have a bit of a sheen to them. I should have those installed tonight.

paintedgrip.jpg

I had originally thought I would sacrifice a rake to get t-tracks, but looking at them they are way too wide. So I wandered around Lowe's for a bit, knowing I would be able to find something more suitable...and I did. I used the sliding track for a screen door. I cut them down to the different sizes for where they go on the barrel, and then it was just score & snap:

t-track_1.jpg

t-track_2.jpg

Here they are glued on. I notched them at the ends and wrapped wire around them after this picture was taken.

t-track_glued.jpg

This morning I sprayed down the stock & back end of the receiver with hammered black and will finish that off tonight, followed by the flat black in the morning. Hopefully I will have it in somewhat assembled by Wednesday. I'm working on a front sight and still have the metal top cover to paint/install, so this is far from complete. I also picked up a rubber washer for the conical disc and cut a small piece of wood to mount that to before installing it on the left grip. It's a bit small, but the grips are disproportionate anyways. I have covered all the 'canon' accessories...but this will be one ugly DLT-19 when it is done. I was very happy to see that Hyperfirms are available again :)

Very nice stuff. I have been wanting to do this for a while as well. I might actually get around to it so that Olga can have one for C6. I like the idea of a tiny TK running around with a gun that's her size.

I have a set of templates I found somewhere, which ones are you using and do you think they're decent?

I'm using the ones off of empire props - they're a good guideline for the shape, but if you're going for any level of detail they leave a bit to be desired. I would recommend having a plethora of screen shots/close-ups of both the real MG-34 and the DLT-19 handy before you start cutting. I have found some pictures on-line that include measurements of the lengths of the different parts (stock, receiver, barrel, overall length, etc.). I emailed a copy of the templates to my Dad (he has access to a full wood shop, whereas I have mostly hand tools) and when he printed the templates out they didn't quite match up. Some of the parts he cut are disproportionate to what I cut, even though we used the same template. It might be that he's a bet technologically challenged when it comes to the computer, so they may not have printed correctly. But if nothing else, it's a fun creative exercise and relatively inexpensive - I have spent less than $50 for materials, and if you have scrap 3/4" width hardwood lying around you can do it for a lot less. The end result will end up being a passing replica of the DLT-19 that I can use for trooping - I'll keep saving my pennies to get a Hyperfirm someday.

I started on the last coat of paint last night/this morning, so I might have some pictures tomorrow - it's about 80% complete. I need to fiddle with the top cover and finish off the front sight and mount it to the barrel. I am still looking for a better cone for the muzzle than what I have pictured above. Using a cut-down funnel (as mentioned on the empire props tutoral) is worse-looking than what I have currently, and the top to a mouthwash bottle isn't much better (and doesn't fit into the end of the PVC barrel).

On a weird note, last night I dreamt that my finished product measured over 6' long! This morning I went out to the garage & measured it to make sure it is still around the actual 48" it is supposed to be :)

Edited by boomshakra

Getting closer - found a more acceptable muzzle cone (not pictured) and have primered the top cover (also not pictured).I have everything else painted, and will experiment wtih weathering it once it all dries. Oh,the front site will hopefully be mounted next time.

DLT-19_053012_2.jpg

DLT-19_053012_1.jpg

Edited by boomshakra

Here it is, almost "finished"...still not happy with the muzzle cone, but have an idea of how to fix that. Not really sure about the weathering...didn't turn out quite as planned. I'm also on the fence about adding a trigger. It would have to be glued in there without any really good way of securing it, aside from drilling in from the top & bottom and inserting a nail to keep it in place. I have one cut out & painted...so it might still happen

DLT-19_060612_1.jpg

DLT-19_060612_2.jpg

DLT-19_060612_3.jpg

In the last two you can see my attempt at the rear sight leaf...it's a place holder for the most part, but I thought it needed more than just the t-tracks along the barrel. The same goes with the front sight - both are just wood scraps painted & glued as a visual effect. But, I have another stock & receiver assembled, just have to bust out with the belt sander again & use the experience from this one to make the Mk II even better!

• 2 weeks later...