2mm acrylic capped ABS or regular 1.5mm ABS !?

So I have an order in with TM and I am still not sure whether I should be going for the 2mm acrylic capped ABS or regular 1.5mm ABS :mellow: :blink: :huh:

I am hoping to use the armour for trooping and can see that with the 1.5mm being more flexible, this could be the way to go... although the capped will look nice and shiny...

Could anyone offer a recruit some advice ?

Also, does it matter if the strapping is screen accurate or is this simply a matter of preference?

Thanks

David :smiley-sw013:

If you go screen accurate you better go with the 1,5mm because the 2mm acrylic capped ABS will crack.

Other trooper can tell you if they feel any difference wearing screen accurate strapping or using snaps or Velcro for me the original strapping works like a charm :)

I trooped a 2mm acrylic capped suit many times and loved it. The material has that really nice idealised shiny pure white look that a lot of our audience actually expect a stormtrooper to look like.

It's really not that susceptible to cracking, it's just less flexible than the 1.5mm stuff. My suit is still going strong (just now belongs to another member of my Garrison). Durability shouldn't be a factor in your decision. It's all about what it looks like and feels like.

The 1.5mm ABS is better for an accurate replica, is lighter-weight and flexible. I find it more comfortable to wear. The current plastic is almost just as shiny too. It is a more ivory colour, more a match for the original suits.

Here are some comparison photos ...

Handplate with stitching = acrylic capped

Handplate without = plain 1.5mm ABS

-----

----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

On 4/19/2012 at 1:11 AM, Nate Jangotat said:

Also, does it matter if the strapping is screen accurate or is this simply a matter of preference?

Screen accurate is fun to replicate and a lot of the system works really well with the light gauge plastic. I'd even say it was the only way to make sure your armour "behaves" (i.e. flexes and bends) the same way as the originals on the outside.

As most of the strapping itself isn't visible though, you can use a more practical/sturdy snaps system. It can make it easier to dismantle your armour and pack it away / travel with it.

I'd argue that the most important thing to do is make sure that your internal strapping fastens in the right places. Make sure your connections are positioned in the same areas as the original strapping so that the suit connects in the same way. One important example: connect your back armour to your kidney armour so that these parts align flush and do not overlap.

"Here's one (well two) I made earlier ..." ;)

Screen accurate

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

My 2mm ABS capped ESB build with the snap system strapping is on the way from TM and I'm SO pumped to receive it! I was leaning towards the brighter white look which is why I decided on the capped. I'll get pics up in the next couple of weeks :)