arduino: a cheap board for E11 blaster effects

i updated the first page with the list of the needed parts and the wiring scheme, they are almost final

the arduino code is not yet final, i must add the option to play soundtracks or any other song when the selector is pressed more than 2 seconds.

actually i cant work on blaster because i left my dremel to my friend who is helping me to assembly the ATA armor..

Edited by skyone

Manuel I'll gladly pay you if you could build a kit for me. This is amazing work!!!!

thanks for the trust, i will consider that at the end of the project

today i received the cheaper sound modules, they are wonderful smaller than the mp3 board i was using. This sound module support Micro-SD card (1gb max? to be verified)

img0054we.jpg

Now i must check on internet what kind of version i got (v.1.5 / 2012.01.12), if can be powered with 5v since it is written on the board, the right pin in/out scheme, if i got the serial version as excepted, ecc..

edit:

i can't get this small board to work.. i turned the soldered pin to 5volts, connected all the required pins, added a 1gb microSD with sounds, and started a test sketch but it keeps dead. Have to spend more time on it, but now have to study for final exams at university..

Edited by skyone

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in seeing what "includes" you are using at the top of the Arduino code and also the functions used to the play the sounds. I have been trying to add sound to a blaster that I have been working on but I am not sure how to interface the arduino with the sound modules.

just a small update:

the cheaper sound module based on WT020-SD integrated circuit is not good for this project, too many issues with transmission protocol and low sound quality!

this is my video test

3rd button added with reload weapon function

added sound effect when empty ammo is reached

added sound effect when reloading the weapon

added led status ON / OFF

added sound at start-up

added led status of empty ammo (this should be upgraded to 4 leds ammo status: Green-Green-Yellow-Red- to be installed in the hengster counter)

since now i configured 10 weapons sound effects with ammo limit and 3 "fun effects" (suchs as chewbacca voice) unlimited

rationalized the C script (10Kbyte used / 32Kbyte)

changed the light effects to the plan:

06/06/2012 UPDATE LIST OF COMPONENT PARTS

as fire effect on nozzle will not be used a single superbright red led but an RBG 3 watt (Red Blue Green) superbright led (4,50 euro) to have more colors, combined or unique, such as electric, flames, gun fire ecc..

NOTE the led must have all the 6 pin (anode and cathode)! as this:

DC-LE14112_1.jpg

it needs also a constant current driver (because arduino can't afford its amperage, so must be connected to the power source with a driver to control the current) and a dimmer to control the fading of the colors.

I have found this: with minor mods (read here), is appropiate. Needs one driver for each led (3 drivers total).

added hardware to the plan:

Mini Amplifier AMP Board 3W+3W DC 5V

euro 2,58 ebayhong kong

251018468454_2.jpg

2 speakers that fit the E11 pipe as this (they fit a E11 pipe with inner diameter of 35mm) ,tested, good and loud sound

img9974w.jpg

8 ohm 2 watt, euro 5.29 the pair

10 SEGMENT LED BAR GRAPH DISPLAY - Kingbright DC-7G3HWA to be used into the hengster counter

39285_0.jpg

2 euro + shipping

I am waiting the delivery of the components, they are cheap but shipping from China to Italy is very slow (3 weeks, 1 month).

Hi this is my first Arduino project & I was hoping for a link to the code that you used for this build. Any chance you can post it on here to give me somewhere to start from.

Cheers Jel

it's not final and very messy

you can get here

http://arduino.cc/fo...c,109432.0.html

i also found that the analog pins of Arduino can be used as digital pins, that i completely used. So now i can add another button using analog pin to switch from sound effects weapon to mp3 player with selected tracks.

Edited by skyone

When you are finished with the R&D stage and ready to install this into the blaster, Instead of using the Arduino pro mini. I would follow this http://arduino.cc/en...inoToBreadboard and simply burn the bootloader and sketch to a ATmega328 chip. This will save you some cash as well as a little space. The ATmega328 chips run around 3 US dollars instead of the Arduino Mini Pro which is close to 20 US dollars.

Using your arduino to program chips is not very difficult at all. I use mine to program ATTiny85 chips all the time.

Edited by boo

• 2 weeks later...

new episode, the trigger button

this is the most basic scheme for the trigger building i have found

IMG_0252.jpg

i installed it on 2 sheets of alluminium 0.8mm to avoid to install on the fragile resin

for the same reason i glued a small bush (i cutted a small piece of an iternal pencil) into the trigger to avoid the resin touch

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

it's working, and it's working well! i enjoy it!

i wished an alluminium trigger as this but i cant wait one month for the delivery..

in the next episode i will cut the excess alluminium sheets and install into the pvc pipe

Edited by skyone

All I can find as a stun sound is this non-clean version: http://www.moviewavs...stunsetting.wav

Edit: Found a better one! http://www.kiwi-nutz...ndfile=stun.wav

Have you managed to find any clean samples for the rest of the build? I have just started my Hasbro blaster build with the doopydoos kit after seeing this fantastic tutorial & I'm finding it hard to track down the mp3 files.

Have you managed to find any clean samples for the rest of the build? I have just started my Hasbro blaster build with the doopydoos kit after seeing this fantastic tutorial & I'm finding it hard to track down the mp3 files.

The rest of the build? What are you trying to do? You can't change the blaster sounds in a hasbro. This project is for building your own soundboard, not modifying an existing one.

The rest of the build? What are you trying to do? You can't change the blaster sounds in a hasbro. This project is for building your own soundboard, not modifying an existing one.

Sorry should have explained myself better, I'm only using the Hasbro as the blaster. I am using a Arduino nano with the mp3 board as described in the earlier posts.

Im also going to fit Xbox 360 rumble pack into the grip for the recoil when i press the trigger. I will upload as soon as I have some better pictures of the build.

Cheers for the advice on the clean samples SKYONE

Sorry should have explained myself better, I'm only using the Hasbro as the blaster. I am using a Arduino nano with the mp3 board as described in the earlier posts.

Im also going to fit Xbox 360 rumble pack into the grip for the recoil when i press the trigger. I will upload as soon as I have some better pictures of the build.

Cheers for the advice on the clean samples SKYONE

Now you're making more sense. Well, good luck! :)

On 8/8/2012 at 1:06 AM, trooper_jel said:

Im finding it a bit hard to track down the files, any chance you could email them to me please? It would be much appreciated

Jeremy.ryan76@gmail.com

so strange, that game is full of mp3s, maybe u have to unzip some audio file, i cant remember

today i worked on the trigger guard, made in alluminium

it's secured by two screws, the same that will keep the trigger-microswitch box attached on the PVC pipe.

there is a third screw on the back of the handle

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

tomorrow will solder the wires on the trigger-microswitch and try to install all on the pvc pipe.

Edited by skyone

handle grip and trigger mounted!

hard work but i did it :)

the trigger mechanism is installed straight to the pvc pipe (1 screw on pipe, 2 screws on trigger), in that way If an accident happens to the handle can be replaced easily

i also added a bit of grease that i use for airsoft gun into the trigger gear: now it stopped to make any noise ;)

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

next stages are:

install the reload button

install the mp3 player inside the counter

install the battery inside the receiver

Edited by skyone

• 2 weeks later...

today i worked on the reload button

first i prepared the cover in alluminium where to install the toggle switch, that cover will protect also the first speaker

the toggle switch is installed on a second sheet of alluminium, then secured with 2 screws on the cover. I didn't find the right screws for that job, tomorrow will buy them.

the cover is secured on the pipe trought the 2 screws of the scope rail, and the 2 screws of the handle.

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Edited by skyone

today i got the right screws to secure the toggle switch, so i installed it

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

now all the 3 buttons are fully operative, tested with tester

in the back part of the pvc pipe there is enought space for the arduino nano, then the speaker.

in the front part, the second speaker, the constant current regulators and finally the RGB led

time to work on the mp3 player house (hengster counter) and then on the receiver where to store the battery (a phottix Lp-E8 for canon 550D)

can't wait to see it working :P

IMG_0356.jpg

Edited by skyone

today worked on the hengster box

first i desoldered and removed the pins from the board because the space inside for the use of the pins is not enought; i soldered only the wires needed for the project (power, R-L audio in/out, RX, data ground)

IMG_0358.jpg

then i secured the led bars on the back with 3 screws from inside

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

then i planned the work on the box:

IMG_0364.jpg

that red part will be removed to insert and eject the SD_CARD

an hole will be made on the hidden side of the box to let the wires go inside the blaster pipe

the mp3 board will be secured with 4 screws over 4 small bases of forex, glued (E6000) inside the box

Edited by skyone