Hidden snaps system?

http://www.tonybarne....com/snaps.html

Has anyone tried this and liked it? Does it fit the "standards?" It seems to good to be true to me. Would gluing the snaps straight onto the armor cause heat and melt it like he did for the shoulders? Or would the e6000 not cause the heat? This whole snaps vs velcro stuff is very confusing and I am trying to figure out the way I want to go with my armor when I get it.

Thanks, Kendall

The tutorials on this board are pretty helpful for the snap system and all the details for EI and what-not.

When I was starting out, I had the same question - everyone recommended snaps, so I have snaps everywhere except the ab-kidney closures, those I did velcro.

I use dual snaps on the shoulders back & front for "failure" but with a white elastic not black webbing, and my snaps are up-down not side-side. Personal preference I guess! I have a lot of repairing and upgrading my insides going on all the time.

Ultimately, what you do INSIDE your armor is up to you. It's what's on the outside that counts for the most part - despite what our moms told us - so just spend countless hours on the CRL and tuts looking for the outside details and any building requirements like belt attachment and the white shoulder straps. Your harness/strapping/whatever system is your own.

If I'm wrong, someone slap me - I don't want to be giving bad advice!

I use that website for the most part but instead of using scrap pieces of ABS for the snap plates I used canvas doubled up with good old E-6000 glue. I'm sure webbing would work the same. My thinking was that most of the armor has curves where you want to attach a snap and having a cloth like base contours to the natural shape inside the armor and gives you more gluing area. The E-6000 gets into the fabric and creates a fiberglass like patch. Best part is if the snap wears our you can just peal up a corner of the canvas base and cut the glue off with a little effort. Not something you can do with the ABS method using ABS glue.

Just my 2 cents worth! :)

I use that website for the most part but instead of using scrap pieces of ABS for the snap plates I used canvas doubled up with good old E-6000 glue. I'm sure webbing would work the same. My thinking was that most of the armor has curves where you want to attach a snap and having a cloth like base contours to the natural shape inside the armor and gives you more gluing area. The E-6000 gets into the fabric and creates a fiberglass like patch. Best part is if the snap wears our you can just peal up a corner of the canvas base and cut the glue off with a little effort. Not something you can do with the ABS method using ABS glue.

Just my 2 cents worth! :)

I was wondering about that. I was thinking that if I glued the fabric to the plastic how would I be able to take it off and move it if nessecary without ruining my armor. So necron your saying if I use the webbing like that it wouldn't be a big deal?

Trying to remove them once there glued is not something to would want to do but they will come back off with some effort. All you have to do is get one corner pulled up then slowly cut the glue until you can peel it off. Most of the time you can just adjust the length of the straps.