Should I trim my butt plate?

After pouring over numerous Centurion acceptance photos over the last hour I noticed that most but not all of them had butT plates that butted up to the kidney. While my butt plate slips under my kidney plate about a half inch. Is this something I should try to trim and then create a return edge on or is it OK the way I have it now?

This photo is showing how the kidney plate overlaps the butt

p1200233.jpg

I reversed it here just to show the amount I am thinking might need to be trimmed.

p1200234o.jpg

This is what it looks like when wearing it.

p1200232.jpg

If I do trim should I trim it to where it butts up to the kidney or slips under it just a bit?

Edited by NastyNoah

Maybe lengthening your straps a bit will solve your problem, give that a go before you trim :) also, are your straps elastic or webbing?

Strapping is elastic, I will try both raising my kidney and lengthening the straps first.

yea definately try those 2 methods first! Ive never had to trim those parts any further than they "should" be trimmed. When i add the straps to attach the butt/kidney, i just put them on the table face down and add the straps so nothing overlaps. Works everytime :)

yea definately try those 2 methods first! Ive never had to trim those parts any further than they "should" be trimmed. When i add the straps to attach the butt/kidney, i just put them on the table face down and add the straps so nothing overlaps. Works everytime :)

If it doesn't overlap the butt hangs to far down and my thighs hit it when I walk.

Noah,

Those parts are longer than 'normal' trooper parts for the taller folk. The Butt should cradle your backside and If you are going to trim, trim the Kidney part... it has the most to give as it is a bout 1.5" taller than a regular. You can trim it from either the top or the bottom. A careful trim and some block sanding for a straight edge and you'lll be set.

Rob

Noah,

Those parts are longer than 'normal' trooper parts for the taller folk. The Butt should cradle your backside and If you are going to trim, trim the Kidney part... it has the most to give as it is a bout 1.5" taller than a regular. You can trim it from either the top or the bottom. A careful trim and some block sanding for a straight edge and you'lll be set.

Rob

Wow I am so glad I am getting advise from Rob. After playing around with the fitting a bit more today I am going to leave the butt plate alone. When wearing everything the butt is only about a 1/4 inch to big. Not much of an overlap, just enough to concern me. The belt does a great job of hiding all this anyways.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in on this. I hate to think what my armor may have ended up looking like with out the great resources we have here.