Painting an FX kit

Ok, firstly, i don't know whether this is frowned upon - i want to turn my stealth trooper (black FX kit) into a normal TK kit.

I am currently a newbie, as in i am not registered with the 501st or any other costume group.

Back to the subject at hand. I was wondering if i could get some advice on how to sand and paint my kit, and what paints to use, if it should be clear coated after etc etc.

Hope you can help me out

Pablo

It can certainly be done. All clones are painted for instance and I've heard about some folks painting with a black coat first and then white on top of that, so that as the armor is scuffed it naturally "weathers".

Krylon seems to be the paint of choice - gloss white with a clear coat on top of that. Others who have done it can give precise steps. Good luck :)

Personally i would buy the white armour as aposed to painting a black hole trooper suit. If funds are a little short i would sell the first kit to pay for the second. Imho painting a black suit white is far too much hastle :duimomlaag:

Personally i would buy the white armour as aposed to painting a black hole trooper suit. If funds are a little short i would sell the first kit to pay for the second. Imho painting a black suit white is far too much hastle :duimomlaag:

I would have to agree. It will show every scuff and scratch. Much easier to sell it and buy a new one.

If you're determined, then as Paul said, krylon fusion will do the job. You would need several coats.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Any idea how much paint i will need to cover my kit? i.e. X number of Y oz/ml/whatever unit cans

cheers

I'd use at least two cans for a whole suit. Maybe three.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Any idea how much paint i will need to cover my kit? i.e. X number of Y oz/ml/whatever unit cans

cheers

I would say about 5 cans of the gloss white "to be sure", with all the clone work I have done in the last year, I am an experienced in Armor painting and weathering, the black is hard to cover up, and you may have to put a couple of coats over it with krylon fusion gloss white, then hit it with a gloss clear coat to bring out the shine, but thats just me and my expoerience with painting black armor wuth white :unsure: