ABS vs HIPS

how big of a difference is there in the durability of the 2 materials? trying to decide on the type of armor to purchase the AP is ABS and the TE2 is HIPS which I was told is easier to work with. so I'm wondering about th durability issues. because I had read the HIPS was less durable

This always seems to be the million dollar question...

From a forming standpoint, HIPS is easier to work with when using a basic home vac-forming setup. It also pulls sharper details. However, it is not as durable as ABS in a gauge comparison. But, .125 HIPS is very strong, but at that gauge, you get very soft details.

ABS is harder to work with from a forming standpoint, in that you really need a pro vac setup with a real air pump and large air tank. Why, you ask? If you've ever seen ABS pulls with crackling, etc. on them, it's because it was over-heated in order to work with a home vac setup (using a Shop Vac). There is also the moisture issue, but that takes this conversation in a whole other direction.

For the most part, what you sacrifice using HIPS is durability, but you gain sharper detail. So, you have to ask your self, do you want detail or durability?

For me, I like the sharp details of TE helmet made in HIPS. But, I'd like some of the body parts to be made in ABS, because they're going to take more strain. In an ideal, perfect situation, I'd take parts from AP, TE and TM made in ABS and HIPS to make the ideal Stormtrooper outfit.

There certainly is a difference. How much depends on the thickness of each and what you want to do. Here is my experience as someone who's owned FX (ABS) and TE2 (HIPS), as I'm presuming we're taking about typical thicknesses.

DURABILITY

ABS will stand up to a lot of abuse. You can squish stuff together in the bin, drop it as much as you like, do stunts. I've even done a few downs of football in mine. It would take an extreme amount or stress abuse to hurt it.

HIPS will stand up easily to normal trooping - I've been wearing my exclusively this year (aside from the Rose Parade). It's lighter and IMHO more comfortable to wear. So far no problems at all and it easily takes the wear of trooping, and I toss it in my bin just like I do my ABS armor. That said I don't believe it will stand up to doing stunts or extreme stress like ABS.

ASSEMBLY

1. ABS is harder to trim than HIPS, but I think not by that much as the TE2 is thick.

2. Both kits come untrimmed.

3. TE2 requires painting. More work for some, but for others it's a plus. Can certainly be made to look glossy like ABS by using a combination of gloss white + a layer of clear.

CONCLUSION

If you want something that will stand up to a lot of abuse, go with ABS. If you will just be doing regular trooping, then a good thickness of HIPS (like TE2 is) will be fine.

AP vs. TE2

Because this is really what we're talking about, as TE2 is the only HIPS armor. Both are great kit. After seeing an AP in person and comparing it to my TE2, the AP is defiantly not an "ABS version of TE2". The legs and arms are noticeably different, though other parts not so much. TE2 can claim a closer linage to screen used, so that's typically one reason to favor TE2. When kiyote finishes his kit we'll take some side by side pix.

That's it off the top of my head. Would love to hear from others who've worn HIPS and can chime in with their thoughts.

EDIT: seems Mike H. posted just before me. I 100% agree with his assessment that there is no one "perfect" armor.

One other thing I might add; HIPS is different to work with in that you can spot heat, sand, fill, reform and paint pieces to get the shape and color you want. ABS needs to be put together and left alone; the kits need to be produced in such a way that they go together with flush edges.

You can definitely heat and bend the abs for tweaking parts. I've had to heat up a few parts. Since I'm building an AP right now, I'd say you need to consider your skill level in the crafts needed to assemble the various armors and how much work you want to do. IF you lack all skills you might stay away from the hardest to build.

I'd say you need to consider your skill level in the crafts

Very well said.

You are right in that you can heat and bend ABS. Just not as easily as HIPS. As skill level I would say that a HIPS kit calls for more work and a higher skill level. I can put an FX together in a day. The styrene kits take me much longer.

I would have to say ABS kits are better for a first timer, but if you've built models and are craft wise, then it's pretty much your own call.

Whichever kit you chose, we're here to help. There are loads of tutorials on this site and lots of troopers willing to help.

Feel free to PM me. I've built both as have many of our members.

Also, there's HIPS, and then there's HIPS. *heh* For a bit more one can order HIPS extruded sheet that's had a rubberizing compound added to the initial bead mix, and ends up with impact resistance comparable to ABS. I prefer the sharper detail and lighter unit weight (HIPS is inherently lighter than ABS), and I'll take my chances with damage. :)

--Jonah