Blasters optional?

Blasters optional stems from the fact that some countries have extremely protective gun laws, where even toy blasters would be illegal. We still want those living there to be able to become members. Since level 2 and 3 are optional, the requirements are higher, including a required blaster. Maybe that the wording could use some improvement, but so does the CRLs themselves.

My pro-tip is to focus more time on looking at how the centurion-costumes here are build and following that, rather than the CRL since that gives you more visual input on how to do things that might be complicated to express in text.

Indeed, thanks for the advice. It's certainly easy as a newcomer to get a lot of information overload between here, UKG and 501st - not even mentioning all the blogs, personal sites, forums and so on :)

I'm assuming (and forgive me for asking dumb an impolite person questions) that if my costume can technically achieve EIB or Centurion levels, but my blaster only achieves basic, it is still ok for me to apply for basic acceptance with better-than-basic armour? (example, my boots are centurion level already but I realise I can't achieve centurion because of my gun!).

Yes, that's totally fine. The UKG has a habit of making all their prospective members build their suits to EIB or above levels before they are even applied for basic membership. And I agree with that line of thinking. It's a lot easier to build your armour to the best of your ability the first time around, than it is to take it apart and start replacing things to reach the next level later on.

Yeah, the suit doens't worry me as much as the gun, is all which is why I might seem like I'm focusing on the wrong thing. I have zero intention of being "basic level", armour wise, even if thats all I can get accepted as due to my gun. The blaster is where my lack of building experience is going to show, given that I've gone ROTJ.

cheers

There is a german guy called Kai that makes nice ROTJ blasters. They aren't spot on since he uses L3A4 grips, but they are high quality and probably the easiest to get without the hassle of getting a hyperfirm re-shipped from the states.