Helmet paint question

I went looking for the "hardhat grey" paint for my helmet the other night but no go. I did find and buy a "mystic Grey" epoxy paint that looked just like what i believe the hardhat to look like. My question is, do you think this would be okay to use on the helmet? or should i trot my an impolite person back to Lowes and take it back and keep searching for Hardhat Grey? I know i know, its all about personal preference, but I am a lemming...tell me what to d! hahah

try checking out primers, they have some greys that might be a match...

I went looking for the "hardhat grey" paint for my helmet the other night but no go. I did find and buy a "mystic Grey" epoxy paint that looked just like what i believe the hardhat to look like. My question is, do you think this would be okay to use on the helmet? or should i trot my an impolite person back to Lowes and take it back and keep searching for Hardhat Grey? I know i know, its all about personal preference, but I am a lemming...tell me what to d! hahah

Where are you looking, Apone? I don't know if the Stormtrooper and Scout Trooper use the same grey, but for Jen's Scout it was recommended I use Ace's store brand of Machinery Gray. Which works nicely. I don't know who makes Hardhat Gray, but Ace is a great place to find paints. :)

--Jonah

Where are you looking, Apone? I don't know if the Stormtrooper and Scout Trooper use the same grey, but for Jen's Scout it was recommended I use Ace's store brand of Machinery Gray. Which works nicely. I don't know who makes Hardhat Gray, but Ace is a great place to find paints. :)

--Jonah

Lowes is where I went.

Ew. I try my local first, Ace these days since the indie closed down. After that, I try the Home Despot, but they've recently narrowed their paint range. Lowe's is a last-ditch for me. Ace has a much wider available range, between Hammerite, RustOleum, Krylon, and Ace, among others. ;)

--Jonah

I'll agree there. Having a model shop handy is a good thing, but in a lot of places they're hard to come by. An airbrush and full range of Tamiya, Testors, Badger, et cetera, paints are ideal. Control of both colour and application is to be desired. :) I was quite giggly when I discovered Testors' Guards Red is indeed the perfect shade for my Royal Guard bucket. *heh* Suited my sense of irony. There may even be a Stormtrooper Grey out there. ;)

--Jonah

Careful application of paint thinner to the outer areas. Clean with lots of soap and water. Touch up inner and outer paint as necessary. And remember to mask EVERYthing when spraying.

--Jonah

I tried my mystic grey epoxy and it looks good... it looks really close or exact to every other helmet ive seen.

the instructions for my AP armor said to use testors grey 1138 (im not kidding 1138!) i have it, but i havent used it yet.... i will tonight and i will post how it looks. if you want to check it out i got it at hobby lobby for like $1 or close a small 1.4 mL

Even Sung,

What do you mean the outside of your helmet was black? Did you get spray paint on the outside of the helmet because you did not mask it well enough (I'm guessing this) or did the paint you used some how show thru the plastic?

Even Sung,

What do you mean the outside of your helmet was black? Did you get spray paint on the outside of the helmet because you did not mask it well enough (I'm guessing this) or did the paint you used some how show thru the plastic?

Jim

as below pic shows. you right bro,I didnt mask helmet very well. but I used chinese high degree drinking alcohol and tooth pick removed this. :P

BTW: No choice TAMIYA TS-32 HAZE Gary anyway,this colour far away with testors 1138 or dark gary. more blue hue I think

post-883-1193719321_thumb.jpg

Woot! Nice feeling isn't it? ;)

--Jonah

jonah

heart break when I saw this. heart break.............. :lol: thanks your advise,I will re-paint ear and tooth follow your advise.

jim

good luck bro,can't wait to see your progress and keep waitting your "how to slim down" tips

Jonah,

When painting the ears and chin on the AP helmet, do I need to rough up the surface first? I think that would not look very good. Also do I need to add a primer first, or can I just paint the testor grey on directly? Or would recommend some other paint brand to use for the ears and chin?

My personal favorite at this time is Krylon fusion. It comes in lots of colors. They have four or five shades of black. They came out with a primer for sanding and filling not too long ago. Love the stuff. It bonds to most plastic.

I can seem to find it everywhere but Home Depot.

Check it out

http://krylon.com/main/product_template.cf...roduct_details#

Home Depot recently stopped carrying it. I asked. I prefer going to Ace anyway. Closer, friendlier, and better paint selection.

As for the painting question... A very fine-grit sandpaper or sanding film would be a good idea, after youve masked off the area to be painted, so you don't mar the white finish. Anything above 600 should be okay. You just want to give the paint more of a substrate to adhere to. Even a plastic-bonding paint will have a hard time sticking ot a polished surface. The other thing about Krylon and RustOleum's plastic-bonding paints is that they are self-priming. For the chin grille, you could just do a couple coats of gloss black. The ears would take a couple more steps, since the right shades of grey aren't available as plastic-bonding paints. I'd recommend Fusion in flat white as a first coat for the ear details, before painting them your chosen grey. And be sure to finish them with a clear gloss sealer.

--Jonah