Question about shin build [*AP]

Beren

I need some guidance here before I glue the outside cover strip on the front of my shin. (This is the left leg and I've already glued an inside strip to one piece). I intend to use velcro on the back of the leg and the butt joint with cover strips on the front.

When I approximate the left and right half on the front of the shin, I am noticing that the back of the shin doesn't line up perfectly. Will I be able to force this to fit once the front is glued together and I've added velcro to the back?

Also, am I going to have trouble flexing the clam-shell open enough to get my foot in?

at the back of the shin you'll want to put a cover strip on the outside edge this adds material to cover the join at the back.

this cover strip should overhang at least 1/2 way, or even more if you need a larger shin.

you can make it anywhere from 1" to 1.5" wide.

use 4" of velcro at the top back, and use 4" velcro at the bottom

the back of the shin will align under pressure from the velcro.

line the shins up at the top and take off the small return edge directly at the top front.

if you need to you can make your shins wider by butt joining them wider than 1"

at the fronts.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Once glued, you will be able to move the "clamshell" easy enough to close. Just feel with your hands to line up the halves before pressing the velcro together. You will be suprised how well the industrial velcro holds.

When I approximate the left and right half on the front of the shin, I am noticing that the back of the shin doesn't line up perfectly. Will I be able to force this to fit once the front is glued together and I've added velcro to the back?

yes, that should be the case. ABS material is pretty flexible.

Also, am I going to have trouble flexing the clam-shell open enough to get my foot in?

no, you'll only need to open as much as your ankle area. ABS material is pretty flexible. ^_^

The reason they are not lining up too well is because you are using both the outer halves of the shins instead of using an inner and outer half.

With the AP kit, the left inner shin is identical to the right outer shin.... So perhaps my right leg will fit better.

With AP, it's pretty easy... since two of the pieces are identical, you just have to glue each of these to the other non-identical pieces. Then it's just a matter of figuring out which is left and which is right. The AP kit comes with labels inside the shin pieces to help.

You had me doubting myself for a moment, but I checked... all looks good. Thank you ALL for your guidance!

Good reference 

There's a lot of extra work with this kit, aligning parts properly. I had one, I know.

-----------

This was my AP suit (below), I also used velcro.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

With AP, it's pretty easy... since two of the pieces are identical

In that case there is no way to get it wrong :)

If your using velcro to close the back that should help with the misalignment. If not, then you will have to off-set the parts at the front so it lines up at the back, or vice versa. Just remember the joining strip on the back goes on the outer half.

Just an FYI, the AP did used to have three seperate parts with only one part doubled up. Looking back it was the inner left that was missing.