need help with ATA kidney plate.

How much should I trim off the kidney plate? Is it supposed to have return edges? Which end is which? I have trimmed all my other armor parts but this one has me stumped. Any help would be awesome.

doesn't matter which end is up until you trim. Top should have a small return edge just like any of the other return edges. The bottom you should leave a little bit more of one, maybe 1/2 in, this keeps the butt plate from sliding under it. So once you have them trimmed to that then you know which way is up and you will know which is the left side for the 3 rivets.

the top is wider, and on the original suits there is no return left on the BOTTOM of the part, because it's cut off from the

butt plate.

Ā 

so the top should have a curved return that follows the muscle shaped curves.

Ā 

and the bottom of the kidney plate should have no return.

as well the top of the butt plate should have no return to match

the bottom of the kidney. as if the two parts were cut from each other, instead of separate parts.

Ā 

I'll post a photo showing what I mean later on tonight.

yea, the ATA kidney can be tricky at first. but the best way to do it is study the reference materials.Ā 

Ā 

if i recall i just positioned it on my back and looked in the mirror . it should somewhat conform to the natural shape of your back and the outer edges should be fairly vertical. when it was up-side-down. it didnt look right to me.

Ā 

also i asked ATA and he stated "Before you trim the kidney the side that is smooth is down and the side with the lip is up."

Ā 

here is an example of how it should look

0956q9u.jpg

Ā 

as for the return edge, you should leave some return on both the top and bottom. and the top of the butt plate should also have a return.

Ā 

Ā 

heres some pics of some original screen used suits

9GIsoBT.jpg

Ā 

4IfXCzL.jpg

sy91vM6.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020