MTK ANH Helmet Build

@Mike

I think I have the angle right, but is the ear low enough?

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

@Josh

That's looking good mate. :)

No problems at all, and good idea on not making a clone thread. :P

Just be careful with the ears, don't go too fast like I did. :P

Hehe feel free to ask away. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's still a bit of a small gap at the back, but it isn't too bad. I also did the right ear, and while there is minor gaps there too I think I will just leave them.

I can fix them later when I heat up the plastic and push it out a bit to eliminate all of the other gaps like Duncs recommended.

So yeah, just a few minor gaps, but they aren't too bad.

Front of the right ear

IMG_0492.jpg

Back of the right ear

IMG_0493.jpg

Front of the left ear

IMG_0494.jpg

Back of the left ear

IMG_0495.jpg

Awesome, I'm a bit hesitant to cut any more. :P So I'll leave it at that. I'm gonna heat up the plastic with a hairdryer or something and push the cheeks out a bit to get rid of all the gaps anyway. :)

I don't know why but it is literally impossible to make the damn rubber neck trim go on. :angry2: I've tried about 20 times and no matter how I do it just slips off somewhere along the line and comes off. Am I meant to glue it on or something? Also it has split on the inside at one spot where I tried to get it over the part where the helmet overlaps at the right ear. >.<

Edited by Spectre

For the teeth on my helmet, what type of grey paint do I need? Do I need the Humbrol #5 medium grey like for the ab buttons?

Also is there any specific type of black paint that I need for the vocoder?

Ok I did some painting tonight. I could not get a hold of the specific blue or grey paints, but i think I got the colours pretty damn close.

I did the teeth, vocoder, and ears. I still need to do the grey over the top of the ears, and I need to do some find detailing to the teeth and vocoder still, but besides that it's all good. smile.gif

The gray is actually a little brighter but the lights made it look dark.IMG_0591.jpg

I'm gonna touch that up a bit tomorrow.

IMG_0592.jpg

Same with the ears, gonna touch up the black and put the gray on.

IMG_0595.jpg

Ok, I think I have finished painting! biggrin.gif Well, mostly, I may still have to do some very small detailing on some parts..

---Before you look at the pictures do note that the photos make the gray on the ears and teeth look a lot darker than it is---

After I finished painting I got some paper towel and put some turps on it and rubbed all of the stains off of the helmet that I had made.

Then I very carefully used the corner of the paper towel, after dabbing it in turps, to clean up the edges on the ears, vocoder and teeth.

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

As I said, the gray looks incredibly dark in the photos, but it is actually lighter than that.

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

Voila!! Externally the helmet is finished! biggrin.gif I just need to find a way to add the hard hat innards into the helmet, then I need to put a tiny bit of padding on the lens material near my nose, then she's all finished. biggrin.gif

Resized to 86% (was 960 x 720) - Click image to enlargeIMG_0602.jpg

The mesh and lens material were relatively easy to attach. I just roughly cut the mesh to size, then superglued it to the helmet. The lens material I drilled a couple of holes in and am using the screws from the ears to hold it in place. I sanded it a bit for my nose, and where the pop rivets were puyshing it out.

Resized to 86% (was 960 x 720) - Click image to enlargeIMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Ok I've just used dodgily cut (by me) foam rectangles for now, and they seem to have worked pretty good.

I switched them around and took photos of both ways, one seemed to kep the helmet up too high, and the other lowered the helmet a bit.

I am planning on cutting the foam into a star shape hopefully to let the helmet sit a little lower.

This setup made it sit way too high I think.

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

That bit of foam there on the lens works wonders for stability and keeping my nose from being cut by the lens material. smile.gif

IMG_0624.jpg

I feel that this setup has lowered it a lot, and I think it is almost ready to be glued in.

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

Switched the thicker foam to the back, and the thin foam to the top, this lowered it a lot and made for a bit more comfort.

IMG_0628.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

well done! I totally muffed up the ears on mine so it sits low and interferes with the S-trim fit....but whatevz I may just force it in somehow. Did you freehand the black outlines on the ears? As far as painting I finished the frown (need to buy some paint thinner or something to clean up my mistakes), still need to paint the ears and vocoder.

Yeah I ruined my ears too, so Trooperbay sent me another pair haha. Yeah I freehanded the black outlines on the ears, and then later realised that the kit came with pinstripe decals. XD The vocoder on mine needs a bit of cleaning too I think, and another coat.

Haha that looks great Josh! Good work. :) Mine still has gaps in the ears too, but they're not very noticeable I reckon. That'd make an awesome christmas card picture! Haha.