voice amp?

jaida

Hyperdyne Labs makes the board needed to produce the static burst:

------------

Personally, I'm not huge of the static burst effect. It really adds very little to the overall presentation to the TK, IMHO. Many others swear by it. You'll still need a speaker/amp and a microphone.

Until I get around to putting some time into it, I'm using a $6 children's toy found at Wal-Mart. It amplifies your voice well enough for smaller events, but is pretty useless in a large convention type event.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

What budget are you looking at spending? At the top of the line is ------- which will set you back a few hundred dollars. -------is another that is up there in quality (but also price).

Down the line there is ------- at a very reasonable price point, but I have no idea about their quality.

There's also ------- who makes quality kit, but you'd have to plug in a unit if you want the static burst (which apparently is easy to do).

Other people just get a regular unit from Radio Shack and blow into the mike to create the burst.

So, you have many options. Most of which depend on what level of price, quality, and effort you've targeted. Knowing what your preferences are for these three can help us steer you in the right direction.

Edited by gmrhodes13

tk8020 said:
Down the line there is  at a very reasonable price point, but I have no idea about their quality.

I would be very cautious when buying from TrikToys. Not to down the company, but their $40 or $50 Vader voice amp is the $6 Wal-Mart toy I spoke of earlier, so buyer beware.

From what I've been told, the TrikToys amp that claims to have the static burst doesn't actually have it. I don't have evidence to back up that claim, but many of my squad mates have told me the same. If you're point right now is to be heard, head to your local radio shack and see what they have. I've also heard good things about this amp:

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13

I purchased the TrikToys Amp because I did not know any better. There is nothing wrong with the set up, it works fine. The static burst is simply you blowing into the mic. But save yourself a lot of money and shipping charges. Go to Radio Shack and buy it yourself. It is just an off the shelf unmodified set up.

TrikToys does have nice machined mic tips that can fit small speakers if you want to get away from the faucet heads. Don't buy TrikToys mic tip speakers either because they can be picked up at most Hobby Stores for cheaper. They are just toy train speakers.

I just managed to get a Rom FX that I need to work on hooking up. :) Good Luck!

My wife purchased the TT voice amp for me for Christmas last year, but she didn't know any better. She just read that it had static burst and that's it. He didn't state that you have to create it yourself by blowing into the mic. This is misleading.

Although I must admit he was nice about returning everything for a full refund. I then went to RadioShack and bought the same thing he had for much less.

Also, I don't have to have the static burst either. I mean, if I had the $ I probably would, but most people in the general public don't miss it. The first time I used my RS voice amp, I got compliments on my voice without it. I guess I sounded like one of the OT Troopers to people that day. :blink:

For the burst IMHO it's really up to what you have in your mind that you want to create. And as you'll see, some prefer the speakers in the aerators, some placed on the belt. In the end it's your costume after all. :D

But I think there is consensus all around that any kind of vox is better than none.

ok so i officially cant find a company that has any of thier merchandise in stock. making it incredibly difficult to find one... and suggestions lol...

I'd say hit Radio Shack and see what you can drum up. If you're not in need of it right now, I say wait until you find what you want. I've done several troops voiceless. I just tap the side of my head and shrug when people talk to me. Some catch the reference, others just thing I'm deaf. :D

If you would prefer to purchase a complete kit and save the time wiring it up, the voice amp kit from skullworx is really good. I have it in my FX bucket and I would recommend it, even though it is a tad expensive. The trade off is wire it yourself or purchase the complete kit (I went the kit route)...

Thx, Ed

The nice thing about Skullworx is that it's 100% ready to install and self-contained. Even a doof like me can install one in minutes. The sound quality is good, and if you insulate the aerators you can really get the volume cranked.

Scott is a super guy to work with as well. Not sure what the current lead time is, but would certainly be worth the wait.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you mean by "best"? Below is based on hearing these first hand side by side:

For sound quality, the best is RomFX, but it's $260 and can take months to come in.

For ease of installation with OK sound, Skullworx is "best". Attractively priced and even a noskillz like me can install one in minutes.

For lowest cost, going to Radio Shack seems "best".

** NOTE: I have not heard a hyperdyne in person so can't comment on them, though I understand they are better than *Worx but not quite at the level of RomFX in terms of sound quality.

Thanks i might go with a hyber kit then sice there easyer to get a hold of...right after i buy a ps3 :D

A) Hyperdyne's aren't that easy to come buy directly from Hyperdyne Labs. They haven't been taking orders in a while now. You can find a used one from time to time on the Legion boards.

B) Buying a launch PS3? Do they even have an decent titles that are coming out on launch? For $600, they can keep the damn thing, not to mention the Japanese are getting it for about $100 less than we are. I feel bad for Europe. It's going to be like 500 & 600 euros. Sony's smoking crack.

</rant>

well it dose have blue ray for 600 from what i hear blue ray alone hits you for 800.

there is also the lesser PS3 for like 299 or 399 or there are opions. I thought i could hold out but then again I have vader helmets i spent more on :unsure:

I've seen blue ray players for as low as $500. The lesser PS3 is $500, doesn't come with wi-fi, smaller HD, and unless rumors that they're working to correct this, no HDMI output. Personally, until MGS4 or Resident Evil 5 come out in '07 or '08, I don't see any point in getting one for my gaming preferences.