E6000 mistake

So I was rushing and kinda goofed up my forearms.

I applied the cover strips for the back of my forearms with E6000 and when I clamped them down they turned a bit and I didn't notice until they were dry and I took the clamps off.

what's the best way to remove the strips and glue without damaging the armor? Normally with stray globs of E6 I can just warm it up with the friction of my thumbnail but I (obviously) can't get in there with my thumb.

I was thinking a plastic knife like you would use at a cookout would be a good start, any other ideas? (I'll take pix tonight after work and find out if I should even be worried about them at all).

Thanks guys,

Ray

Yeah E6000 is great if you make a mistake. Stick something blunt inbetween the strip and the arour and just gently prise it apart OR if you really take your time you can cut through the glue with a very sharp knife. I had to do that when I had to re-do my forearms.

wasnt there something about placing the item in the frezzer.....???? the e-6000 then could be pulled with ease....... ( i dont remember if this is for E-6000 so dont do it )

Warm it up SLIGHTLY with a heat gun or hair dryer. I run a flat chisel in between the 2 parts and it comes apart quite easily. E6000 can be "rubbed" off with your fingers, I also use some glue gone to remove residue.

When joining parts / cover strips, I tape them in place before clamping to prevent shifting.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Terry, thanks, I'm really wary about warming up anything with a heat gun or hair dryer, i've seen some mistakes and I've already made my fair share. I tried first with the plastic knives and they worked like a charm. The knife plastic is soft enough that it doesn't scratch the ABS but the serrations are strong enough to get into the E6K and allowed me to work with it. Got the strip off and just re-glued it.

Thanks again, all. Especially you, Luis.

• 2 weeks later...

For my case, even after 3 days, after I removed the cover strip, I can still remove the excess E6000 residual by rubbing them with my thumb...end up like a roll of nose drop.

I used the cutter to carefully cut away the dried E6000 before comfortably stripping away. There may be scars but wont damage the other areas or crack the armor.

I too apply some tapes over the cover strip before putting on the clamps which will reduce the risk of it shifting. Watch it for a period of time just to make sure the bugger dont give you another slip up.

• 4 weeks later...