AP Helmet questions

I've trimmed and screwed the Cap/Back to the Faceplate using the triangle of divots in the ear areas and the divots lower down where the bottom earpiece screw would go.

Im looking at the helmet and it looks to me as though it was placed face down and sat on. Just wonky.

iwygUx4.jpg

6BJivZi.jpg

Also, where the front and back meet, just below the lowest of the three ear divots, the back doesn't follow the contour of the front well. There is a significant gap.

TktV4C0.jpg

There was no divot at the bottom of the cap on the right side, there was on the left.

D31mkgw.jpg

Seems to me here on the right side, that there isn't enough material on the back of the cap to make the rim at the bottom even.

V0ihKnx.jpg

This is my first helmet build. I'm nearly finished the armor, I left the helmet for last. Are these things i'm asking about typical of AP helmets and therefore something that can be worked with? I've seen many a beautiful AP helm, want to make sure I can get there too.

Thanks

The AP is not symmetrical (as were the originals)

The contour of the front and back will correct itself after you add the ears.

The bottom looks a little weird, but I imagine that will correct itself as well once the ears are in place and trim is added.

Definitely need to trim the eyes out more.

So, far, good job, keep the pics coming!

you should not have screws in the location where the ear screws attach.

the ear screws are flathead countersunk 6/32" metal machine screws...

yeah, I put those in temporarily to see if the gaps etc I was concerned about would close up once the ears were on, I've not trimmed them out as yet. Thanks though.

hdtheater: Thank you, thats reassuring. :)

Shooter: Thanks, asymmetry is cool. Maybe looking at the MRCE ESB helm I won at CV is throwing me off. Still, I worry a bit that there isnt enough material on the cap/back on the right side as seen in photo 5 to wrap around to the bottom. hope thats somewhat clear :P

Maybe looking at the MRCE ESB helm I won at CV is throwing me off. Still, I worry a bit that there isnt enough material on the cap/back on the right side as seen in photo 5 to wrap around to the bottom. hope thats somewhat clear :P

These helmets are supposed to be asymmetrical. They look weird if they're not. You're helmet's looking fine. Keep it going. The ear will cover that flare on the sides.

On the right side back dome, boil a pan of water and dunk that corner into it for about 20 seconds then bend it. I've solved a few armor problems with boiling water. Doesn't hurt the plastic or gloss at all.

Edited by TrooperTim