HOWTO: Mod Drop Box to Carry Items

Sgt-Lynch

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this. But I haven't seen anything posted so I figured I'd toss this up for anyone who wants to try it.

It's basically a mod to make the drop boxes handy storage areas. Seeing how unpractical Stromtrooper Armor is, I needed a place to put my junk (phone, credit cards, cash, keys)

So here it is in a nut shell:

drop1.jpg

Home Depot hinge painted white, styrene back plate with raised ridge, drop box.

drop2.jpg

All put together.

I haven't decided on the latch to hold it closed yet. Probably a simple push button, but velcro, snaps, magnets, whatever will work.

Lynch

drop1.webp

Yep, now here is what I used mine for, thanks to the thread RBJ posted:

Pumpmod.jpg

I use the drop box to hold my insulin pump. I also did the same on the other one to hold my phone, but now I need a huge drop box to hold my BlackBerry ;) . Maybe I will look someplace else to hold that?!!??

RBJ said:
..great minds think alike! :)

------------

Hey! Nice phone!! :P

I wish I had seen your post, never thought of using elastic. Duh! :huh:

I guess I made the over engineered version.

Lynch

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Hey! Nice phone!! :P

I wish I had seen your post, never thought of using elastic. Duh! :huh:

I guess I made the over engineered version.

Lynch

..no, you made the NICE version...I made the gehtto version! :)

howz about a thremal detonator/blackberry holder? :)

howz about a thremal detonator/blackberry holder? :)

Man, that would be a big TD, since I have an 8703 BlackBerry. Maybe inside the chest armor? I will have to think of something, or.......

Just leave the thing at HOME!!!

:D

You do not want to use magnets near that Mototrola phone. Two things could happen... 1) the magnetic field could re-align the crystals in the screen, causing discoloration, and 2) then magnetic fields could damage the data stored on the phone.

You have put the effort in to making a nice storage space, just a bit more work to make a clasp that can secure your items safely.

Neat idea.

Haha! I love this. You make something that not only looks freakin cool, but is practical as well :D

I hadn't even thought about something like this, I was just gonna close off my drop boxes, after seeing this I shall try and do something similar.

Here's what I just came up with from looking around at the pictures.

I just wanted some kind of tight pocket to put the cell in and the screen was all I had :)

Then, it was moving too much, so I just took some extra padding I had (from my helmet padding) to squeeze it into position.

I can even close the KRZR over the screen mesh to be able to open it without taking it out of the box .. pretty clever I thought ;)

But then, I'd have to be able to get that box to my ear first .. Urrg .. not that clever :D

I glued everything with hot glue.

post-347-1191180305_thumb.jpg

post-347-1191180379_thumb.jpg

post-347-1191180384_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
aw jeez, tony you had to say it.... LOL

but yeah, this is a nice mod. i usually duct tape a ziplock bag in my chest or abs... :rolleyes:

Could you also go the extra length and keep a bluetooth headset on inside your helmet? That would be nice to take emergency calls and not have to take off your bucket. LOL.

Oh BTW Im new to the forum. Just thought this was really cool.

Could you also go the extra length and keep a bluetooth headset on inside your helmet? That would be nice to take emergency calls and not have to take off your bucket. LOL.

Oh BTW Im new to the forum. Just thought this was really cool.

Actually i have just that! But the one i have is a special one that can work as a walkie talkie with 1 other headset of its kind. So me and my friend who is also becoming a trooper can keep in touch without yelling at each other and it fits perfectly! Best part is the walkie talkie mode has a range of 250,000 square feet! Only problem is to switch functions between phone and walkie talkie requires taking off your helmet. I think it'll also be handy for keeping in contact with a non-costumed friend to guide you from walking straight into kiddies :P

The insulin pump somehow gives me Jem'Hadar "Ketracel White" vibes from Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Well anyway, that's the problem with TK's hard to carry life's necessities, unless ya stick it in the detonator, and that's hard enough to grab from your back half the time.

While Scouts and a few other armors have bloody pouches, it's not fair!

Actually i have just that! But the one i have is a special one that can work as a walkie talkie with 1 other headset of its kind. So me and my friend who is also becoming a trooper can keep in touch without yelling at each other and it fits perfectly! Best part is the walkie talkie mode has a range of 250,000 square feet! Only problem is to switch functions between phone and walkie talkie requires taking off your helmet. I think it'll also be handy for keeping in contact with a non-costumed friend to guide you from walking straight into kiddies :P

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Will it just work with one other paired device, or multiples? How much do these run? Do you have a link?

I have a bluetooth for my phone, but have no idea where I'd put a blackberry, or how to answer it without removing either the helmet or the phone from wherever it's stashed.

---------

As far as i know you can only connect 1 headset to 1 other, BUT they do have this other conference call station thing

------------

you can connect 5 dragons to it and a phone for 300,000 square foot range!

Each dragon runs for about $100USD and the station doesn't post a price :( The headsets may not be cheap but they are FANTASTIC for talking to another person (just don't try using it for music :P )

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020