Building a new Torso

On 5/22/2011 at 6:29 AM, tkrestonva said:

Not sure why the links don't work, they work fine for me. Try these - they link to the same forum section. If all else fails, go to First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment> Advanced Tactics and Training> Advanced ANH Costuming

-----

It would be better if an AP owner chimed in, but it doesn't seem necessary to attach the butt plate prior to aligning the ab and kidney. Just make sure the top of the ab plate is lined up with the top of the kidney plate. So in your photos, it looks like you need to either pull the ab plate up or push the kidney plate down a little bit.

Brian - Mason/Tom are still workong on those sections and they haven't been opened up yet. I'll let Mason chime in on when they'll be ready.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

i am still collecting more photos and info for the advanced areas. i will try to get all the advanced sections opened up this month. the advanced areas that are locked still need editing ;)

I see....well that solves one question that was bugging me

Now the 1 inch wide metal clips for the o2 cylinder...where exactly can I find those? I tried looking for some at Home Depot and Lowe's...couldn't find any in either place

Edited by Zachg56

Jesse sells clips here on the forum, which I use and look great. Tandy Leather sells a Belt/Holster spring clip that's close in width. Banker's clips are close in width but a little too narrow. You could buy some aluminum strips off ebay and bend them to shape like Stukatrooper: ----

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 6/2/2011 at 1:19 PM, TrooperTim said:

Jesse sells clips here on the forum, which I use and look great. Tandy Leather sells a Belt/Holster spring clip that's close in width. Banker's clips are close in width but a little too narrow. You could buy some aluminum strips off ebay and bend them to shape like Stukatrooper: ====

I take it the Tandy Leather clip is this one right here?

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a good question....I plan on going to AX this year, but I've been told it's rather expensive to take the giant chestbox, the STanley Toolbox everyone seems to carry their armor in) along to hold everything in. Any ideas on what to use suitcase-wise as well as how I should store the armor in the suitcase(s)?

Before I forget...for EIB, the holster loop has to have a 1 inch gap between the holster and the belt when attaching the two together correct?

Current pictures before adding the holster, rear plate, drop boxes, and buttons...

yeah I know the back plate and everything else is at an angle, velcroed it wrong before putting it on, didn't realize the pictures wear being taken then (easy adjustments yaaay), but you guys think it's workable once I get the soft straps inside of it? Not too small not too big in certain areas?

hydRzDH.jpg

8indDHC.jpg

Yes, those are the tandy leather clips I posted about. The clips aren't the correct width so if you're going for super accuracy they won't work. 1 inch between holster and belt is about right. I've seen it vary so it's not set as far as I'm concerned.

I carry my armor in a contico storage trunk from the container store (walmart may still sell them). The trunk has a lock hole so you can secure it with a combination lock. It'll only fit the body armor. I carry my helmet in a motorcycle bag. Some people use a hard cover golf trunk as well. Not sure if the dimensions would be allowed. You'll have to check with the airport.

My back plate was angled like that as well. I adjust the top straps a bit and tightened the left side suspenders. It's not a big deal right now. You still have more work ahead. Keep going.

Edited by TrooperTim

Yes, those are the tandy leather clips I posted about. The clips aren't the correct width so if you're going for super accuracy they won't work. 1 inch between holster and belt is about right. I've seen it vary so it's not set as far as I'm concerned.

I carry my armor in a contico storage trunk from the container store (walmart may still sell them). The trunk has a lock hole so you can secure it with a combination lock. It'll only fit the body armor. I carry my helmet in a motorcycle bag. Some people use a hard cover golf trunk as well. Not sure if the dimensions would be allowed. You'll have to check with the airport.

My back plate was angled like that as well. I adjust the top straps a bit and tightened the left side suspenders. It's not a big deal right now. You still have more work ahead. Keep going.

I see...I might end up having to adjust the top straps as well...and tighten the suspenders...that seems like the best idea.

Would those Tandy Leather clips are still EIB acceptable though?

SO you recommend using the contico storage locker as a storage unit for airplane travel? If it is not acceptable...what else would you recommend I use? I'm tempted to use an old dive back that has decent siding...but then again knowing how rough they are with luggage

As long as the clips are about 1 inch wide they'll be EIB/Centurion approved. I believe screen-accurate clips are 1 1/8" wide. Jesse sells really nice aluminum ones. As far as the tote, check what dimensions your airline allows then look for the armor bin. I've never flown my armor but I would imagine a hard plastic exterior would work best and be sure to pad the armor very well. There are a lot of tote options out there. Go with whatever works for you.

As long as the clips are about 1 inch wide they'll be EIB/Centurion approved. I believe screen-accurate clips are 1 1/8" wide. Jesse sells really nice aluminum ones. As far as the tote, check what dimensions your airline allows then look for the armor bin. I've never flown my armor but I would imagine a hard plastic exterior would work best and be sure to pad the armor very well. There are a lot of tote options out there. Go with whatever works for you.

The contico 23 gallon storage locker is airline capable for most flights in case anyone is wondering. 61 inches total

Alright drop boxes have been attached, rear plate attached to the kidney plate, so everything is in order asides from the button plates which I am currently waiting to come in.

For the holster, how far up can the chicago screws/holes be where they attach the holster to the belt? About one to two inches would you say?

I know that there should be an inch gap between the holster itself and the belt, but not the screws themselves

I don't know the measurements so I can't help you there. I view reference images and guess where things go. Because these suits were thrown together there are subtle variation of details for each trooper. I personally believe it's fine if you're off kilter, here or there, as long as it falls within the basic guidelines of where things should go. Look at references and do what you feel is right. It'll work out fine.

----

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 6/27/2011 at 2:29 PM, TrooperTim said:

I don't know the measurements so I can't help you there. I view reference images and guess where things go. Because these suits were thrown together there are subtle variation of details for each trooper. I personally believe it's fine if you're off kilter, here or there, as long as it falls within the basic guidelines of where things should go. Look at references and do what you feel is right. It'll work out fine.

SO how does this look?

Dh131rX.jpg

AJEFOrU.jpg

Okay, Building questions are all done and over with seeing as how there is nothing left to work on. I have 2 final transportation questions. Seeing as how I am going on a plane to Anime Expo, and as how the blaster is a somewhat essential part of the costume, do you guys recommend that I do or do not bring t he blaster with me on the plane (which would be stored along side the rest of the costume) If you do recommend it, what exactly is the process of making sure it's safe for transportation and so I don't end up in jail because of a crazed TSA Agent?

EDIT: I've been told that ab button decals/stickers aren't acceptable anymore, is this true?