Trooping can i be a part of this?

:trooper: Im 14 iam not a part of the 501st....yet Cause im not 18. I talked to Daetrin and he said its up to the garrison to let me troop....I do WWII reenacting and those involves tanks, halftracks and real guns i dont see why not i could not troop...iam a fan of star wars {Empire} so im hoping i could troop

Well WWII events are usually NOT in the eye of the public, do things for charity, and are usually held on federal property :) ...Also in WWII it is the Historical club that makes the rules and regulations regarding minors at events weather you are using a Bren gun/MG 42/ or a bolt action rifle...its the cub's responsibility to take that on...

Now, on the contrast the 501st Legion is most of the time in the eye of the public, and I believe it is because of legal issues that we as a Legion as a whole don't let people under 18 "officially" troop with us...Now this is not saying that there aren't garrisons out there who follow this rule on a case by case basis...but this is just my assessment... :unsure:

Ian,

Unless you have a parent or legal guardian that is a member of the 501st, the answer would be almost ALWAYS "no" for an under aged person to troop. The reason being, if its an INFORMAL troop and some of the members bring their children when its appropriate, THEY incur the liablity if something happens to their kid(s), but it's more of a case of the kid's causing an issue due to "immaturity", and a minor cannot be "sued" for neglegence in a civil case, but their PARENTS can be for that minor child's behavior. I'm not saying that YOU would misbehave, but "stuff happens", and if the 501st allowed minors to troop then they would be be exposed to being held liable for any actions of neglegence or malice, so... there you have it. One more thing to condsider... many times children are not brought to a trooping event BECAUSE this hobby is one way for the adults to put their "real worlds" in the drawer for a while to "get away from it all" and kids (at times) can be another source of added frustration during a troop making it just "another job", instead of it being something fun for adults.

Please refer to the charter: http://www.501st.com/charter.php#ArtIIA

The only requirements for membership are "ownership" of an accurate, complete, and professional-quality costume celebrating the Imperial (Dark Side) characters from the Star Wars films or its expanded universe sources, that the member is able to wear said costume(s) and that the member must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.

And talk to your local Garrison.

PLEASE talk to your local Garrisn, and PLEASE read through this forum topic by topic :rolleyes:

the only kids/minors that troop with us are the kids of the members. We have some Events (for example in Parks/Cons) that are open for costumed visitors, but those visitors are in no way related to us and we have no responsibility for them. Best is to check with your local garrison if they have such Events.