Rare earth magnets: shattering

To assist with my TK build I purchased a set of 20 rare earth magnets (the 3/4" square variety). I've been very impressed with how strong they are, and they've really helped seal the deal while I let the E6000 dry on the various parts.

5544908815_f2d2bda11d_b.jpg

The problem I'm having, however, is that I've only completed a few parts and I've already shattered five of them. At the rate I'm going, they're going to all be destroyed before I get halfway through my build.

Have any of you had this problem? Or can someone give me some tips for how to better handle these ticking shrapnel bombs?

I have had it happen to me only once. I knew they were very brittle and it happens when not careful.

Here is a couple things I do to keep them from breaking:

For my work bench, I have a sheet of cardboard taped down in case I drop them

I use the rubber washers when I am stacking them back together.

I keep a metal ruler near my work area and as I peel off the magnets I put them on that to keep the magnets form slamming into each other or flying all over the place.

-Eric

Oh and wear mechanics gloves. I lost skin on on both middle fingers from the magnets pinchin the skin right off! :o

Same here! My magnets pinched off some skin between my thumb and index finger. Don't know what was worse, removing them from my hand or the initial pinch!

Andy

When I used these, after a few pinches to the hands, I used to spread them out across my floor when I wasn't using them. It was somewhat amusing as if they got too close, they would tremble and that was my warning. :lol:

The way I kept them from smacking around when I was using them on the ABS is I would place the first one directly underneath the glued parts and then slowly slide the other one on top. No smashing, no snapping. Good luck!

Brad

im looking to buy some magnets...any good sites to get them from?

I bought mine here: Applied Magnets.

And thanks for all the tips everyone! The times when I've had the most problems with them shattering have been when I've been returning a magnet to the stack - even with the plastic divider they would still break if there was too much impact. The "sliding" suggestions have really helped. I've been putting a second, non-metallic object on top of the stack so that the pull isn't quite as strong, putting the new magnet on top of that, and then pulling that object out and sliding the magnet to the top of the stack. So far I'm having much better results.

I haven't resorted to gloves yet, but I am now wearing protective glasses whenever I apply magnets or return them to the stack. One of the ones that shattered fired a piece of shrapnel across my dining room like it was shot out of a cannon. I don't need that in my eye.