How to tape off my kit in order to paint

Hello everyone,

I am going to finish up my first kit (ATA) as an Incinerator, and had some questions about how to paint the red. I just got done painting the entire kit with some Rustoleum enamel, and everything else is finished... straps, snaps, helmet done, etc. I have been looking at the build threads for the incinerators here on the forums, and I am wondering how I go about taping the helmet and armor off in order to paint the red.

Should I use painters tape? I am familiar with the blue painters tape, but I have seen pics where people have used green tape... Is this the same?

Any tips for making both thighs, forearms, etc the same?

Hey,

The green tape you are referring to is automotive painters tape, you should be able to find it in the automotive section in a local Walmart or even Autozone. Unlike the blue the green is made to be more bleed resistant than the blue :duim: and it is labeled for being able to make really fine lines. Only a little more pricey than the blue but not by much. I do know from personal experience though that when painting with the tape you will still get a raised edge where the paint met the tape. I am not sure how to remedy this if at all. Maybe lighter coats??? A person to ask to is Pandatrooper, he is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to paint products and application. I have asked that question on MEPD pending an answer.

I have also been told there is a professional painters tape out there that is almost rubber like an electric tape or vinyl, but it is harder to find and more expensive. Only available at professional paint stores? or so I have been told. Hope this helps.

:td:

Blue tape is higher tack and yields a sharper line than green. Make sure to use several light coats as opposed to one or two heavy coats to avoid bleeding. Practice on a scrap piece of plastic first if you havent tried this technique before!

I use blue painter's tape, just make sure the undercoat is good and dry. Otherwise it will make a texture in your paint while removing the tape.

web.jpg?ver=12833060300001

web.jpg?ver=12833065710001

web.jpg?ver=12800761990001

How did you get such great weathering on the blue section of your helmet? Anything I need to do while the paint hasn't fully dried?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Wiggleplum

i do not use the blue stuff for lines myself :blink: i like the green automotive stuff .. i do use the blue stuff as well but mainly to prevent overspray,, it is cheaper than the automotive for that use alone.. but i also used an airbrush that requires thinner paints than the canned stuff, so the blue stuff tends to bleed

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

I also used the green tape for painting all of my armor. The green tape I used is called "Frog Tape" and I found it in the paint isle at my local Home Depot. It is a bit more expensive than the standard blue painters tape, but well worth it. It is supposed to prevent paint bleed, and it definetely does. I had great results using it. I used the blue tape for overspray only.

IMG00022-20110310-0059.jpg

ICNBucketPics007.jpg

ICNArmor003.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...