new holster =)

i often find myself wanting a camera at times while suited up, and never have anywhere to put it... i'll be going to All-Con this weekend and i'll be on a cruise afterwards, something tells me i'll be wanting my camera while suited up. so i thought i'd fabricate a holster for it in my armor and the thigh was the best place that i could think of.

thought that maybe some other troopers might have similar scenarios, so i figured i'd post a build thread on how i did it. hope it helps or maybe just seems cool or w/e. lol

i figured that it'd need to have some support type framing to keep it away from the wall of the thigh when the camera isn't in it, so i made small shims and curved their ends. plus i thought a curved tab for the top to help guide the camera in place would come in handy. the tab i had to bend lengthwise so i made that bend before cutting it. the sides got scared but that's fine since their getting cut off. i didnt have a heat gun so i used a lighter. worked rather well when done right.

7f9b0a24.jpg

c72c705a.jpg

a general lay out to give you an idea where i'm going with this...

c41ef1c8.jpg

the camera is that red thing with the FISD sticker on it... here's what it looks like when open... :P

7302ddf8.jpg

anyways. moving on.

i glued the elastic bands together and drew where i'd glue it to the armor.

i marked lines for where i'd apply the glue.

chose elastic so it'd give a little while i'm accessing the camera and put the soft velcro bits on there because it's a touch screen and thought it'd be a good idea.

cce71bed.jpg

the plastic pieces i sandwiched between the elastic so they would be held better...

3f26df9e.jpg

then the gluing :P

feea1403.jpg

aftermath once assembled...

34056e98.jpg

7406939c.jpg

then i had to rip out some of my foam padding so i could get it in place... and glue it down. wrapped the camera in plastic wrap in case any stray glue got to it. lol.

8bb3630a.jpg

the long annoying wait for everything to dry.... and then the completed product... theres a spot to the left of the camera on the top strap where i missed the gluing, but it just gives a little extra slack and doesnt negatively effect anything, but still came out great i think.

9c45cd28.jpg

4a19f32b.jpg

there's a dark spot on my elastic.. darned magnets. lol.

anyways. it's easy to access, yet i can carry it without people being able to see it less they knew where it's at and tried. lol....

hope you enjoyed the pics... i know there's a bunch, but i thought the more the better, in case someone builds it and wanted good step by step

Interesting idea. "Let me just reach into my thighs..." :)

One some troops I have used a pouch inside the ab armor (for keys and wallet and things I don't need right away) or a small pouch on the belt.

Just one small but important tip. Keep rare earth magnets far away from anything electronic especially LCD screens, computers, phones, etc. You can easily destroy the screen with magnets.

yeah, i was careful with the magnets and never let them close for too long. i've got a few stash spots for different things, but none are very accessible. figured a quick reach into the thigh would be a better spot than my others as far as ease of reach. and i'm not too much into having a pouch on my belt. no real reason... i just only can see sandies with pouches and i think they'd look odd on me.

Interesting idea. "Let me just reach into my thighs..." :)

"Excuse me while I whip this out..."

("Blazing Saddles" reference btw)

Fun idea for sure though!

I still want the cam in my bucket! B)

Great Idea Eric and I hope to meet you at All-Con. See you there my brother! Think I will add this to mine before this weekend too.

Darren

SandFlea

TK-7435, TD-7435

Great Idea Eric and I hope to meet you at All-Con. See you there my brother! Think I will add this to mine before this weekend too.

Darren

SandFlea

TK-7435, TD-7435

thanks man. :) good luck with the build if you do it.

i'll be there late friday and suited up saturday. if you see me friday, you'll know it's me by my ghost-busters over shirt. haha :P

• 2 weeks later...

Eric! Glad to have met you at All-Con, man! (we chatted a bit before the Garrison photo and talked about your replacement lens and the camera pocket, if you recall)

Yep, very good feature! Something I'll have to implement for my Aker amp, wallet, phone etc...

Talk to you soon, Brother!

LaterDays,

- Berban

glad to have met you bro. i have to say through all of the trooping at allcon and then on the cruise ship. i had all sorts of if it can go wrong, it did type stuff, but the camera holster never once had an issue :)

if you'd told me bout the amp thought, i'd have shown you my set up... i have it built into my chest plate. easily removable for charge purposes too. lemme know if you want pics.