acrylic vs enamel

Hi all,

Seems that enamel paint is very hard to find and acrylic is easy...can some tell me how it would affect the build?

thanks

I bought rustoleum enamel at wal-mart a few days ago. They had the normal cans, and also some taller cans with "25% Extra" at the same price.

Acrylics are water-based and non toxic, enamel is oil-based and therefore toxic. The enamel is tougher and also waterproof while the acrylic if soaked or scrubbed with water will come off. Plan on trooping in the rain?

my main problem is getting some humbrol paint in canada...i heard that any solvent based product may not get thru, i would order from tk4510 but i dont want them to be seied at customs..i an trying to find an alternative...testors enamels seems to be a good choice but they are hard to find as hell...

i use the craft acrylics like this

------------

you can get them in gloss for outdoor use as well.. i cannot get model paints in my area so i use what i can get locally.. if you are worried about the weather effecting it lust use a acrylic craft sealer :D

i also use them because i can paint/airbrush indoors without the fumes ;)

you can also apply automotive wax after it dries to seal it more..

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

well its my personal opinion and it is preferred because of my location and harsh weather prevent outdoor airbrushing.. i could order testors or humbrol offline but i hate to wait :P plus if i spill it or forget to put the top on im boned :blink: myself i try to work with materials i can find locally, unless there is no viable alternative

well its my personal opinion and it is preferred because of my location and harsh weather prevent outdoor airbrushing.. i could order testors or humbrol offline but i hate to wait :P plus if i spill it or forget to put the top on im boned :blink: myself i try to work with materials i can find locally, unless there is no viable alternative

Yeah, unless you plan on trooping in the shower I don't see why using the acrylics would be a problem.

I've had two events where I ended up trooping in the rain. I used testor's enamel paints. Never had to repaint in over a year. I don't think anyone would really notice a difference between acrylic and enamel when your helmet is all finished. At least I probably wouldn't.

enamel is oil-based and therefore toxic

Toxic, really? Well, actually, that may explain a few things for me. :mellow:

well i kinda lucked out as a hobby shop guy told me to go to another place after he showed me what he had...

i went to a local Michael's which is a craft store...it had a small section for models and lo and behold they had tons of testors enamel paint!

i bought the equivalent humbrol testors grey i will need and i ll go get some more and some gloss black. the only thing they are missing is the french blue...they have a blue that is really super close to it tough.

if worse comes to shove i ll have to use that.

i dont know if this is a canadian only chain of stores, does not look like ite but i hit paydirt with them, got some paint, got some brushes too and they have some krylon paint and tons of other stuff to help you build your buckets..

I did an order on the side from TK4510 just to make sure, just have to wait for the paint now...

http://www.michaels.com/

Edited by budspencer1971