My first build

Hi Everyone,

A while back (before I discovered the FISD) I bought some armour from a seller here in the UK.

This was after a bit of research and recommendations from peeps back at one of my costuming groups....

Anyway to cut a long story short, this seller appears in the ebay section with unfavourable reviews but despite this I am gonna try and shoot for the best job possible I can do and after reading the great posts and guides on this site have decided to try and do everything to EIB standard.

Hopefully I can get some pictures up soon but so far this site has been invaluable and the members I have dealt with so far fantastic....

Wish me luck and hopefully I can do this site and it's members proud.

well i don't know how a web site has feelings of pride, it's just a bunch of stings of code. :P but the members on here... their not as much coded, more lifelike. haha. can't wait to see your build. :) if you take you time and ask all the questions you have, you should be able to do just fine. :) it's great to see that you want to go for EIB right out of the box. trust me... easier to do it that way. haha.

Who's the seller on ebay? I got my armour from ebay from one of the sellers on 'the list'. I'd personaly advise against buying ANYTHING from any ebay seller. You can also get it cheaper from buying a kit from someone here on the forums.

I've spent AGES trying to get my kit to look right, I've had loads of issues with it from poorly formed pieces to thin body parts.

To be honest the kit itself looks well formed to me and is nice and durable, i only really had to do a little trimming to fit me personally....just in the process of changing out the velcro strapping for a more accurate elastic/snap etc setup.

With hindsight I would have gone straight to one of the guys on here but you live and learn eh....

Which seller did you use?

Edited by felgercarb

Canvas belt courtesy of Mike (TK-4510) assembled with snaps, holster straps cut and applied to the back....

5496988202_4b29d0b2ba_z.jpg

Front view of belt

5496394209_3a02afab17_z.jpg

Clips courtesy of Jesse (TK-4702) riveted to canister, belt completed.

5496995740_f792856c82_z.jpg

Edited by felgercarb

Armour looks very familiar :lol:

Looking good so far. I notice your belt has those little squares that cover the snaps. Mine didn't have those. :(

My build is currently on hold untill I get my belt back. Then I can take pics of me actualy wearing the damn thing. :angry:

Armour looks very familiar :lol:

Looking good so far. I notice your belt has those little squares that cover the snaps. Mine didn't have those. :(

My build is currently on hold untill I get my belt back. Then I can take pics of me actualy wearing the damn thing. :angry:

It only had the centre one, the other two on the outside edges are two snaps cunningly disguised as them.

Shhhh....don't tell anyone, I think i got away with it :D

It only had the centre one, the other two on the outside edges are two snaps cunningly disguised as them.

Shhhh....don't tell anyone, I think i got away with it :D

They are? You fooled me. Any chance you'd shae your secret? I need to do something to my belt at some point.

I'll have to make 3 as I didn't even have one in the middle.

They are? You fooled me. Any chance you'd shae your secret? I need to do something to my belt at some point.

I'll have to make 3 as I didn't even have one in the middle.

On the outside edges I had squares already but no circle so I drilled the hole wider and put a 15 mm female snap there, then painted it white with acrylic enamel.

If you have already riveted underneath then make a square and circle out of leftover plastic and just glue over the rivets.

I now have hit a small snag....my bells are connected together via a long piece of black elastic and snaps.

The strap goes around the back of my neck which seems to work quite well, however I notice they rotate backwards quite easily....

Any ideas/tips folks?

I now have hit a small snag....my bells are connected together via a long piece of black elastic and snaps.

The strap goes around the back of my neck which seems to work quite well, however I notice they rotate backwards quite easily....

Any ideas/tips folks?

Hi David ,

I tried this method and could not get used to it , try connecting a smaller piece of elastic to each bell and then snap it on to the elastic or webbing or whatever is joining your chest and back plates togather ;)

Right whilst i try and solve the shoulder problem, on with the rest of the build....

Snaps put into butt plate

5496402995_c718093d4f_z.jpg

Split Pin or "brad" place in cod piece section

5496997236_2c4f50f94e_z.jpg

The two joined together via black elastic

5496997826_9f71ff1eb1_z.jpg

Things seem to be coming along nicely, next for the abdomen and back....

Edited by felgercarb

Next step was to apply the rivets to the left hand side, again following advice (TrooperVenger) and various guides on here i went with the snap/rivet combo.

I could only get normal rivets, so may fill and paint them at a later date if needed for EIB

Outside view:

5497014404_699c7dca1c_z.jpg

Inside view:

5496998086_602ecf1edb_z.jpg

Edited by felgercarb

Believe it or not, the next step was one of the ones i was dreading the most.

Due to the contour of the chest piece i really wasn't sure about the gluing of the bridge pieces but i think it has turned out quite nicely....

The front:

5509781051_c18746a1aa_z.jpg

And now the back, held down with white elastic

5510380896_feb650e7ae_z.jpg

Finally....a well earned rest and a brew

5509781775_6e4cdf967f_z.jpg

Coming along nicely.

I've had an idea about your shoulder bell issue. Why not make a velcro shoulder covers. Cut a 'pacman' shaped piece of velro and stitch the mouth of it together and then sew it on to your under-suit. Put some velcro on the inside of the shoulder bells and voilà ! Should hold nicely.