My heart is set on a TE helmet need info though.

Hi all,

I was contemplating a VT kit from ebay, looks great, got fairly good review from here but for some weird reason the helmet looks odd, especially in the eyes area..

i have set my heart on a TE2 kit because Mike has shown us that they can look almost like clones ( pardon the pun) of the real original helmets when assemble right and painted right.

Now i know it is a rule to not really ask where to buy but seeing that there is a ton of threads on the TE2 helmet i thought it would be simplier for me to ask if anyone know a kit seller so i can see what it would cost me to get one and the source of the kit.

please help thanks a bunch!

On 2/26/2011 at 10:11 AM, NoVATie said:

How about right here----------

well i tried to PM HDPblues by it says he cannot receive any more message as of now...i hope nothing is wrong and that maybe he will see this thread and respond to me.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

In my opinion, the VT hemet is a softer pull / less detail than other helmets, plus they are recast from an AP / TE. The color is also slightly different than other armor makes (more beige than white-ish). There are plenty of reviews in the Ebay armor section.

Have you considered other helmets like AP or ATA, etc.? TM also looks very good for a sculpted from scratch version.

well seing the photos, i would say that the VT hero looks better than the stunt, the faceplate looks larger and normal, i have seen a recent offering of a VT helmet on Ebay and it must be the stunt version but seeing these photos now i think the VT hero looks like a closer match to the TE for proportion and size etc...the pull also seems to have a little more detail even though it looks softer.

Does anyone know how much the TE2 kit went for?

On ebay VT offers his kit for 125$ everything included which seems very reasonable.

in all honesty and if Tony cannot get the full kit I would like to get the faceplate and cap of the TE2 since Mike TK-4510 is offering the rest in case you are stuck or need replacments. I will keep watching and see if the TE2 gets a new run and chatting with you good buddies here!

i love the fact that some people went the extra mile for me and posted some photos. THAT is very appreciated Moonwalker!

thanks guys!

Hey Bruno, welcome man!

Tony, is a very a busy man (work and real life) I pm'd you with a way to contact Tony (since his PM box is full)

But, if I may suggest looking into ATA *ABS* kit, AP kit or TM kit as well. All three are made by good vendors and are good kits..

The plastic used on VT helmets is thicker than other makers resulting in a softer pull. A thinner plastic will yield a sharper pull. The fact that its RECAST means the molds are at least a generation removed from the mold before it.

I used to own the VT hero and stunt (among many other makes) and have since sold them. Comparing them in person, they seem to have a softer rounder edges look than other helmets. I have one of the new ATA Abs lids and I feel it is much sharper in capturing the details, and they are affordable.

Always compare based and features and pricing, and not just pricing alone. At the end of the day, you can buy and support whatever make you want.

Yep That TE is NOT a good representation of the TE lineage. Looks like a TE recast.

Here is a TE2 - NO FINER HELMET MADE IMO

And remember that almost ALL helmets are born from TE or TE2. If they have even more detail its because they were altered to be sharper. The TE2 has had minimal if any sharpening and its as close as you are gonna get to the real deal. -Unless you can get ahold of a Gino which is almost the same lid, - he wants I think $3-400.00 for a kit. Not sure.

-------

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Much better pics... thanks for posting Mike!

Plus, TE2 comes with---------

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 2/27/2011 at 8:50 AM, TK-4510 said:

Yep That TE is NOT a good representation of the TE lineage. Looks like a TE recast.

Here is a TE2 - NO FINER HELMET MADE IMO

And remember that almost ALL helmets are born from TE or TE2. If they have even more detail its because they were altered to be sharper. The TE2 has had minimal if any sharpening and its as close as you are gonna get to the real deal. -Unless you can get ahold of a Gino which is almost the same lid, - he wants I think $3-400.00 for a kit. Not sure.

-

-

I also wonder if the material used would make a difference in the final look, many if Vt would use HIPS or a somewhat thinner material as a test maybe it would make a sharper kit...just my 2 cents...

cheers!

Edited by gmrhodes13

I cant tell you what TE2 charges now for a helmet set. I think its probably in the $2-300.00 range - maybe?

Styrene is the most used material for these helmets. Its easy to get very sharp details with styrene but its tearing and breaking points are very low. Its a great product for display and some trooping. you can make an 1/8 inch faceplate and still get great detail with styrene. You have to paint it though which sucks.

ABS is much harder to get detail from because of its resilience. It does not want to conform to any shape when vacuumforming so industrial measures have to be taken to get good results. Usually this means a vacuum pump and a better set up.

The old CAP helmets were all styrene. The VT molds are the old CAP molds so if he were to do them in styrene they would be very sharp. VT has never used styrene however as far as I know.

Edited by TK-4510

I cant tell you what TE2 charges now for a helmet set. I think its probably in the $2-300.00 range - maybe?

Styrene is the most used material for these helmets. Its easy to get very sharp details with styrene but its tearing and breaking points are very low. Its a great product for display and some trooping. you can make an 1/8 inch faceplate and still get great detail with styrene. You have to paint it though which sucks.

ABS is much harder to get detail from because of its resilience. It does not want to conform to any shape when vacuumforming so industrial measures have to be taken to get good results. Usually this means a vacuum pump and a better set up.

The old CAP helmets were all styrene. The VT molds are the old CAP molds so if he were to do them in styrene they would be very sharp. VT has never used styrene however as far as I know.

Hi Mike,

Tony got back to me and sent me the information i needed..now i just have to convince the GF to let me use the amount of money to get this done.

Another question for you...would you go with the decals or paint?

I have done a few models and painting and i think i could be good enough to get the job done but i was wondering what were your overall impressions when you were painting...

do you think it was fairly easy or super hard...and why do you prefer Humbrol over revell or testors paint?

thanks

Its easy with the masking templates. I prefer Humbrol because the paint matches my decals flows good and because I sell it :) The french blue is a good match for the tubestripes. BUT, the testors brand dries faster and looks just as nice. Humbrols just my preference.

Edited by TK-4510

Whoa, that's a poor representation of a TE2 helmet. I have one and it doesn't look like that at all.

Less details ? I don't think so :rolleyes:

Again : TE, VT Hero, VT stunt :

face10.jpg

face210.jpg

back10.jpg

Pics by Verne.

Its easy with the masking templates. I prefer Humbrol because the paint matches my decals flows good and because I sell it :) The french blue is a good match for the tubestripes. BUT, the testors brand dries faster and looks just as nice. Humbrols just my preference.

does the paint chip or crust after some time or does it stay nice?

Whoa, that's a poor representation of a TE2 helmet. I have one and it doesn't look like that at all.

the stunt looks smaller...even if the camera was not at same distance it just seem to be more conical when going on up the faceplate compared to the TE and the VT hero

i wrote to VT and he said he had no hero , no reasons why...which make me suspicious....