Fan Placement Suggestions?

I recently bought 4 of these fans:

fans.jpg

and a switch, battery holder etc. The fans are DC12V 0.16 A So i figured it would be okay just going straight to th e9v battery.

Im looking for fan placement, I put two in the back (which I planned on hooking up to its own switch) and two in the front, (also with its own switch)

But they dont seem to be pushing out as much air as ide like. the back ones are placed in the bottom of the bucket so they have some air to grab but the front ones are a little tougher.

fan-placement.jpg

So im wondering what are some other options I have. I keep my hair nearly shaven so im not worried about that.

thanks!

try this!

-----

-----

I found that the fans are really only effective if they have a source for the cooler air, which explains why it's mounted on the frown-vents.

I also used tiny aluminum grommets (from a craft supply store) as "feet" for the fans.

If I had a 2nd set of fans like you do, (and if I were really brave/meticulous) I would cut out the decal vents at the rear of the dome and mount fans inside of them to blow out all the hot air (hot air rises, might as well help it get out!)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

the spinning side of the fan touches it.

the back fans, even though they have room to suck some air, arent blowing hardly anything. I dont get it. This may not be as easy as I thought?

how many fans do you guys have in your bucket anyway?

I found that fans mounted on the inside of the vent cutouts in the rear of my helmet get stopped by my hair. However, I mount my headliner towards the back anyway because I wear glasses so if you tend to wear your helmet close to your face, it would probably be OK.

I have fans in the back vents and wear my headliner close to the front. It works ok, but it's still tight (if I move wrong, I can feel them) I keep my hair pretty short (what's left of it anyway....) but I can still feel it clip every once in a while. I would suggest this mod if you can fit it. The back vents really do help. Since adding fans to the eyes and the back vents I have never had a problem with fog (which was an issue) Sweat.... still an issue... :)

One thing I was pondering today, Im using 12v fans with 9volt batteries. Hence the fans arent blowing like they should. any suggestions on how to get them to run faster?

Im hooking up two fans per battery. A friend from work suggested two batteries per fan. I think he is nuts though ;)

One thing I was pondering today, Im using 12v fans with 9volt batteries. Hence the fans arent blowing like they should. any suggestions on how to get them to run faster?

Im hooking up two fans per battery. A friend from work suggested two batteries per fan. I think he is nuts though ;)

Isn't that the problem?

I also bought all my stuff 6 months ago *sigh* .. I have 3 9v for 2 fans .. and they seem to push a lot of air .. still not sure either where to install them, or how for that matters. I know the pading-to-remove-all-vibration trick .. just didn't dare to do it yet ..

12V fans x 2 = 24V

9V batt x 3 = 27V

Should be good enough, in your case, you're under powered :) Although I could be wrong, I'm no physic/electrician guru!

:)

3 9v for 2 12v fans?

how do you connect the batteries to the fans?

you can make fun of my electro newbness :P

when I connected 3 9v batteries (3 positives and 3 neg) to two fans (two positives, two neg) the fan speed was the same as if i connected one battery. I also placed my hand behind the fans to see when the fans stopped producing air the closer my hand got, and it was about an inch and a half. Im wondering if I should go to the other type of fans. The mini blower ones.

There you go!

-----

huttman said:
3 9v for 2 12v fans?

how do you connect the batteries to the fans?

you can make fun of my electro newbness :P

when I connected 3 9v batteries (3 positives and 3 neg) to two fans (two positives, two neg) the fan speed was the same as if i connected one battery. I also placed my hand behind the fans to see when the fans stopped producing air the closer my hand got, and it was about an inch and a half. Im wondering if I should go to the other type of fans. The mini blower ones.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 4 weeks later...

I will place two fans in the front. I want to be anle to replace them and I want to reduce the sound.

So I cut out some foam pieces (see pic below). I made a litte hole on the side for the cables to go through.

Then place the fan inside and hot glue the foam (pic 2 below).

This way the vibration is reduced by the foam as is the sound. I still get enough wind, also coming back from the helmet because there is space behidng the fan. And when either fan needs replacing I take them out, the foam stays, and put a new one in.

I works fine for me.

John

post-863-1191261779_thumb.jpg

post-863-1191261789_thumb.jpg

I will place two fans in the front. I want to be anle to replace them and I want to reduce the sound.

So I cut out some foam pieces (see pic below). I made a litte hole on the side for the cables to go through.

Then place the fan inside and hot glue the foam (pic 2 below).

This way the vibration is reduced by the foam as is the sound. I still get enough wind, also coming back from the helmet because there is space behidng the fan. And when either fan needs replacing I take them out, the foam stays, and put a new one in.

I works fine for me.

John

John,

I wanted to try this, but I figure that by having foam all around the fan, no air would be found behind the fan thus, not being able to push any.

Am I wrong in my assumptions?

John,

I wanted to try this, but I figure that by having foam all around the fan, no air would be found behind the fan thus, not being able to push any.

Am I wrong in my assumptions?

Depends on how and where you place the fans. I place them in the front and slightly angled. So the wind is blown upwards and also side ways at the back. The fans make a triangle with the helmet.

Yo can also cut out a thicker slice of foam (twice as thick as the fan) and cut out the sides exept for the corners. The on the four cornes some hot glue and then there is space for air circulation.

I have not yet glued the foam so I am trying some different setup. Will post again when I have made the 'final' setup.

I place them not straight up front, but more to the side in the tube.

John

For now I have placed 1 vent with 1 battery (9 volt). It is in the front and I may place one vent in the back.

The switch is placed on a L-shaped piece of plastic and hot glued to the helmet. You can see this in the pics, look at the top of the pics. For the battery I will place a holder.

John

post-863-1191509772_thumb.jpg

post-863-1191509786_thumb.jpg

A good idea would be to make a sticky on fan and whatever else you want to place in your lid, but separate them into different versions. Especially RT from FX etc. since some have more room than others. Just my 2 pennies.

Cheers