AP armor.. are most parts mirrored?

Yes, thats how AP armor is made. The original armor had unique left and right arm pieces but AP left arms are duplicates of the right arm. The left inner shin is also a duplicate of the right outer shin.

This info is also posted here:

---------

You will also encounter some alignment issues with the thighs and shins. We can help you when you get to trimming those. :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

IIRC the first jedi suit to be copied was a skip dive and was not complete. Or if there were 2 arms ans legs they were percieved at the time to be the same..

So while the later TE kits had extra parts suplimented from a tour suit the earlier AP and current AP kit was never changed.

I dont like the extra tour suit parts added later to the TE kits anyway, so with a little work the parts you have will be fine.. :)

I dont like the extra tour suit parts added later to the TE kits anyway, so with a little work the parts you have will be fine.. :)

Thas exactly why I never changed mine, the added part are completely different in shape and stand out, I rather have original parts that match, BTW many armors used in the movie also used same parts for left and right, there's many promo photos showing same arm parts for left and right, one which is very noticeable is the bicep parts.

Mark

Thanks for the additional insight guys. I for one actually prefer same sized arms, but that's just me. :)

Mark, are there any plans to update the thighs or inner left shin piece? A lot of troopers have encountered issues with their builds and raised the point of the thigh halves not lining up (one side being quite a bit longer than the other) and the left inner shin being a replica of the right outer shin.

There are workarounds to these issues of course, just wondering if you plan on refining the forming bucks to accommodate?

I think that the 2 marks in this thread have explained it very well!

here's some information that TOM so excellently gave me, so I'll add this to the discussion!

On 2/16/2011 at 1:32 PM, RogueTrooper said:

Hey Vern, I know that you own AP armor.

In the armor history topic, Matt said GF got a casting off of his original ROTJ molds (GF sold the molds to AP) Originally the ROTJ suit was owned by Cameron Oakley’s and Matt bought/traded for it.

The original ROTJ suit parts list that Cameron Oakley owned and sold to Matt is this:

Chest Plate

Back Plate

Kidney/Butt Plate (one piece)

Right Bicep (inner/outer parts)

Left Forearm (inner/outer parts)

Left and Right Thighs (inner/outer parts)

Left outside Shin

Right inside Shin

Right outside Shin

The Cameron Oakley suit had no other original parts available. Everything else was mocked up.

The AP helmet is actually a recast and some say an over santized/cleaned up version of the bumpy cap and back.

Later, Matt and Dan Laws got a hold of some parts from a TK Tour suit to replace some of the missing parts that Matt and Dan were working on that turned out to be the hybrid that Tony HPDblues now owns.

In plain view you can tell that the AP only has one arm and it is duplicated for both sides. Whereas, the TE2 armor has significantly different forearms and biceps, which is the indication that it has the Tour suit parts.

Here are some pictures of AP vs. some other TE derived/TE2 to show you what I am talking about. You have to understand that the difference of material and gauge will change some of the look, but the basic shapes would not be that drastic of a change:

JtHmohJ.jpg

mdyZBAX.jpg

pIqJkSN.jpg

HuFZxDh.jpg

If you don’t trust my word on this, the easiest way to verify this is to start a topic that ask; "Does the AP kit have any Tour suit parts?"

Take care Bro,

Tom

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Ahhh! I see.

Does anyone have pics of the movie troopers wearing mirrored parts?

Thas exactly why I never changed mine, the added part are completely different in shape and stand out, I rather have original parts that match, BTW many armors used in the movie also used same parts for left and right, there's many promo photos showing same arm parts for left and right, one which is very noticeable is the bicep parts.

Mark

Edited by sixxgunn13

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the additional insight guys. I for one actually prefer same sized arms, but that's just me. :)

Mark, are there any plans to update the thighs or inner left shin piece? A lot of troopers have encountered issues with their builds and raised the point of the thigh halves not lining up (one side being quite a bit longer than the other) and the left inner shin being a replica of the right outer shin.

There are workarounds to these issues of course, just wondering if you plan on refining the forming bucks to accommodate?

Not the thighs, for the inner left shin I would prefer to get a hold of a original inner shin.

Mark