Was there a other mould?

Found some new herohelmet pic's( seems they come from a exhibit) and begin to thought .....

Well i thought the hero helmets were made out of the same mould as the stunt helmets, only made out of ABS instead of HDPE.

But, when they both come from the same mould, why the hero helmet's haven't the oval detail in the corners under the eyes as the stunt helmet have?

Hero:

11312703.th.jpg

herone.th.jpg

Stunt:

anhstuntstormtrooperhel.th.jpg

So was there a second "hero mould"?Have i miss something?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Turrican

yep, there was. Either a new or restored one.

Less undercut, filled teeth, etc. "Sanitized", wider face plate.

But I'll let the experts explain further

Oh..realy..and i thought i miss something, thx for the info :duim:

the little ovals in the tears are there because the HDPE cools differently from ABS. i forget the exact reasoning right now, but GINO explained it in one of his recent helmet threads i believe as well.

Edited by Darth Voorhees

the little ovals in the tears are there because the HDPE cools differently from ABS. i forget the exact reasoning right now, but GINO explained it in one of his recent helmet threads i believe as well.

Lou

Gino is WRONG if he said that mate :rolleyes:

They were part of the original mold, nothing to do with HDPE cooling.

Check out these picks of a recent 'loft-find' of an original ANH helmet and suit here in the UK

and you'll see the detail is clearly defined mate B)

helm004.jpg

helmet9.jpg

:)

Is your question...

Does this oval appear on any hero lid?

(If not therefore there must have been a new mould?)

I think I have seen them on a hero lid somewhere?

It's safe to say there was as heros are smoother and the teeth are different

So on thy alone there must have been 2

Edited by john danter

Gino never said that.Of course the ovals are on the original moulds. They appear more prominently on the HDPE stunts than the heroes. Maybe Gino had said something about the way HDPE pulls and creases into details like that vs the ABS the hero helmets use?

At any rate the hero helmets have them too. Certainly not as clear as the stunts but pour over your reference again and check it out.

@ John

I thought both, the stunt and the hero helmets, come from the same master mould.

But cause of this missing oval on the hero my question was if there were made a extra new mould for the hero helmets.

Bigger pic's

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4350/39737572.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/f/95352157.jpg/

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8658/81680152.jpg

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4113/79849079.jpg

Edit:

(found the same pic's in this thread here )

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=10888

Edited by Turrican

Ah I see your point

You're asking, why does it appear on some heros but not other heros?

No idea lol :)

Different pulls maybe? Less heat applied to one lid vs the other? Less suction time on one lid vs another? One lid was pulled first, the other pulled later in the day when the heater element and the vac form chamber have warmed up a little more?

It happens to me when I do a batch of stuff.

1st lot take a while to warm up the plastic. The later pulls tend to reach the desired elasticity much quicker.

Could simply be that

Gino....is wrong on telling something...never :lol:

LOL :lol:

Maybe Gino had said something about the way HDPE pulls and creases into details like that vs the ABS the hero helmets use?

Thats what i was talking about. I may be wrong about it affecting that particular area though. I didnt go back and read the thread where he mentioned it.

Although, that original "find" pic wouldn't prove the "heating/cooling HDPE" threory wrong or right. Thats a HDPE pull, not a mold, so

But either way, i may be mistaken about what he said. It just made sense to me that it would happen there as its a deep negative area.

It also seem weird to me that would be on the mold...it seems like such a pointless detail, from a sculpting standpoint.....but ..ANYWAY!...

no more derailing from me..lol....listen to John D he knows way more than i do LOL!

EDIT: i went back and read the thread...he was talking about the crease at the side tube right above the tubestripes...so my bad :blush:.....move along.. move along....

Edited by Darth Voorhees

• 4 weeks later...

The tear detail is on the first batch, stunt type, it is on the hero ,the Tie and AT AT Driver helmets as well.

I think the stunt was recasted, cleaned up a bit and pulled in ABS.This is why the detail remains, the fatter appearance is possibly because the recasting process was by using a plaster mould taken from the inside of an HDPE stunt which wasnt supported very well. I suspect the original mould was knackered after the first 50 pulls so couldn't be cleaned up, maybe a poor quality mould to start with as it was only to last for a short time.

At Lou, this detail appeared pretty silly to me as well initially until I saw the designs for the Stormtrooper helmet, this detail stayed in the various changes so was put into the sculpt at the end.So somebody wanted it to stay there, even if we don't really see it.

Yes I know, too many maybes in my "theory" , who knows.

Edited by Lone wolf

Just read this again

GINO maybe referring to the thermoset properties of HDPE over ABS

HDPE has more 'memory' when vac formed so will try and get back to the flat state as it cools

That's not why that oval is there though.

That's an intentional detail. It's too symmetrical and on too many lid to be a freak of thermoforming plastic.

It may have been added to help the plastic key in the tear mould....?

Assuming it is an intentional detail as we all seem to agree, why? It seems a very odd and irrelavent shape to have.

Like I mentioned Gary, it maybe there to help the plastic grip the mould..?

It's in an odd place to help it do that TBH as I'd expect it more on the cap for instance?

However the faceplate is more important than the backcap so maybe someone like Mr Muir or even AA may remember why it's there?

John

The tear detail was sculpted into the helmet because it was on the original design sketches, not inside a tear shape but on this particular spot on the face design. It was on several of the designs at different stages so it stayed on the final sculpt. Maybe the final painters were going to highlight it but once they saw the final vacfomed faceplates realised it was not a great detail after all.

Regarding HDPE causing this "flaw" well this is not true.