ROTJ tears and traps - decals or painted

john danter

Does anyone here know 100% if any ROTJ lids had hand painted details etc.

I know they used decals on most but............

We all know there were 2 lid types. ANH derived and the new moulded ROTJ ones

So.....

I have JoeR lid and Mikes ROTJ decals. Sadly the decals I have are based on a TE ROTJ lid. They don't fit.

So I just hand painted mine. then I wondered, did the studio bother to make 2 sets of decals for ROTJ or did they simple just hand paint some?

Discuss :)

From what I have seen and read, the ROTJ lid (JoeR) style only had decals. I would assume that it would have been more efficient to have done them all in decals instead of hand painting them, like they did in ANH. I don't think they would have been that particular about how the details on the ROTJ TK's were, since most of them were in the battle (quickly moving about) on Endor and the lighting of the forest would have mask the detail somewhat.

Is the helmet that your are doing the one that you had sitting in fromt of a 1000 watt halogen, that got a little toasty? If so, the helmet could have changed slightly enough that the decals don't fit as well. Also, if you look at the pix below, the decals don't fit the original ROTJ's that well either.

ROTJDETAILS-1.thumb.jpg.42eb6f725cdd1cf12b791d9a35e2049e.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Mike is working on some super accurate screen printed decals for my helmets. The originals did seem not to fit, but I think we should have some that do fit for those that like a neat finish.

I have never seen any ROTJ buckets with painted tears and traps.

JoeR

Ah well, I'ver painted mine.....sssh ;)

They didn't fit very well, but I know Joe is making new ones.

It's not that they didn't fit well, and this is good, there was no way I could get the whole area of the decal to sit nicely. It would fit one bit but then not the other.

It's very hard to get them to sit right

I thought they were all decals too, just checking.

As for the 1000W lamp damage, that was confined to just one side. They don't fit my other ROTJ very well either.

Thanks for the replies :)