Approproate Mannequin for display

I picked up some armor about a year ago and am now getting to a place where I can actually put it altogether. To date, I have trimmed all the armor and assembled the helmet and the shins. However, I am 6'5" and 240 pounds and I just don't think this would ever look right on me. I want to get a mannequin and fit the armor for it so it looks right when on display.

Can anyone recommend a mannequin that is well suited for a Stormtrooper?

As far as something wearable, I think I am going to switch to a Vader or Chewbacca costume.

Thanks,

Eric

Yeah a Vader for you would be cool since you're tall.

Mannequin ? depends if you wanna spend $100 for it or make your own for cheap. I made one with wood and screws i had for $0 . Search here for duct tape mannequin you'll see an other idea.

Yeah a Vader for you would be cool since you're tall.

Mannequin ? depends if you wanna spend $100 for it or make your own for cheap. I made one with wood and screws i had for $0 . Search here for duct tape mannequin you'll see an other idea.

I had researched the duct tape mannequin and like the idea, but got concerned about making hands and the fact that I have to find someone the right height!

In addition to needing one for display, I would also be fitting the armor specific to that mannequin. I am hoping someone on the board can reccomend a particular one that works perfectly for a Stormtrooper.

Eric

Somthing like this Eric , i have a bendy man manaquin stands at 10 .5 foot tall and the waist is 32 inch and 38 inch chest all about right for a stormtrooper , i got the manaquin on ebay a shop used one for £100 but they normally retail at £250 , let me know if you want anymore info :)

euIKhfw.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

On 1/28/2011 at 1:59 AM, SW1 said:

Somthing like this Eric , i have a bendy man manaquin stands at 10 .5 foot tall and the waist is 32 inch and 38 inch chest all about right for a stormtrooper , i got the manaquin on ebay a shop used one for £100 but they normally retail at £250 , let me know if you want anymore info :)

:o WOW!!!, Steve 10 feet 5!!!! :o

Man that is some mannequin,....I wonder who they modelled that from? http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp139/Billhag/GIFS/m1727.gif

DJ8VaKA.jpg

:D

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I luv it Billy , Doh i ment to to say 5 foot 10 silly me , i guess Billy us Smaller troopers always add a few feet on :lol:

NIce, I need two of them. would you pm me with more info on where to get them.

Guys - I was going to post a separate thread regarding this, but let me see if there is any interest.

I've been speaking to company that makes and sells mannequins in regards to our issue of displaying our armor. I've shared with him that we would be looking for something inexpensive that would display our Trooper armor, yet in a dynamic shooting pose.

If we had enough people interested, he is saying these would run between $550.00 to $650.00. This would probably not include shipping.

Would anyone be interested in this price or is that way too much?

Thanks

Guys - I was going to post a separate thread regarding this, but let me see if there is any interest.

I've been speaking to company that makes and sells mannequins in regards to our issue of displaying our armor. I've shared with him that we would be looking for something inexpensive that would display our Trooper armor, yet in a dynamic shooting pose.

If we had enough people interested, he is saying these would run between $550.00 to $650.00. This would probably not include shipping.

Would anyone be interested in this price or is that way too much?

Thanks

I use this one:

--------

You'll probably want to pad out the elbow joints once you have the pose set, since there is nothing but the metal pivots there. But it's a pretty adjustable setup for a good price. Good luck!

Chris

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

On 1/28/2011 at 9:56 PM, Madmartigan said:

I use this one:

----------

Cut off the fingers on the right hand, epoxy in some coat hanger and duct tape "fingers" and you can have a mannequin capable of holding a gun at attention or in other more dynamic poses for about $150 or so:

You'll probably want to pad out the elbow joints once you have the pose set, since there is nothing but the metal pivots there. But it's a pretty adjustable setup for a good price. Good luck!

Chris

I like that one. Other than the elbows did you find that you needed to add padding anywhere else to fit the armor to it?

Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13

@ Eric and Darren here is a link to the make of my manaquin just scoll down to male manaequin they are priced at £295 but i did not pay that i was lucky to get one of ebay a used one but snapped it up for £100 so you can get a bargin on the bay :) and there was nothing wrong with it only dirty feet but that did not matter boots coverd that , i luv these manaquins because you can articualate them in any postion even the fingers and are very sturdy .

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

With all due respect and to make sure I'm explaining this better, your displays look like great armor on a cheesy mannequin.

I'm looking for a mannequin set up that really makes the armor look like a stormtrooper with no rod running up the a$ holding everything up.

post-5150-0-51817700-1296262857_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stormy320

Oh well i guess if you want a manaquin to look like the one in the photo Jason and to have it in that postion and other postions with out a rod going up his A.... , i would think that it would need to be made of a really hard and sturdy body to stand in those postions without falling over or being knocked over i would not want my armour to be dammaged in that way , not unless your going to tie it to the wall ? , i did think about what your saying before i got flexable one but i needed somthing that was more stable but still flexable and made of cheese ;)

On 1/29/2011 at 4:17 PM, SW1 said:

Oh well i guess if you want a manaquin to look like the one in the photo Jason and to have it in that postion and other postions with out a rod going up his A.... , i would think that it would need to be made of a really hard and sturdy body to stand in those postions without falling over or being knocked over i would not want my armour to be dammaged in that way , not unless your going to tie it to the wall ? ;)

Hey - we can send a man to the moon, I'm sure we can build a cool trooper mannequin.

Seriously, I am in contact with a company that has expressed interest in making these. I would be looking for the group to decide on a suitable pose and price and then we could go at it.

However, based off your comments and what the price would most likely be can I assume it's your opinion this would be a tough sell? I'm just trying to generate interest or see if there is any interest.

At some point I will be displaying my armor on a killer shooter pose like the promotional ANH pics and I thought others would like this too. Similar to the Don Post lifesize trooper, but with accurate trooper armor.

There are two downsides to this concept - price and space. The footprint would be much larger than what you guess posted.

An alternative to lower cost and less space would be to do a "cool" stance pose, that traditional mannequins don't offer either.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Hey Jason , wasn't the man on the moon a haux ;) ,

No but seriously i have nothing againt improving manaquines iam all up for it , my only consern is what your saying is the manaquin that you are looking at will only offer one pose ? , or will the manaquine be articulated on evrey joint , imho i dont care for the promo Trooper , but only for the Origanal Stormtroopers in ANH and to try and capture there poses , but good luck in your search mate for what you are trying to acheive :)

Jesse - that does look good and maybe that is the best route to take.

SW1 - I agree. There would be a downside of only one pose. Articulated mannequins are available, but are around $1000 and still have the goofy rods that hold them up.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

According to mythbusters - we really did go ----- to the moon.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Hey Jason just seen this on ebay one wicked manaquin let me know what you think

Looks Gold plated to :)

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 1/30/2011 at 2:27 AM, Stormy320 said:

Hey - we can send a man to the moon, I'm sure we can build a cool trooper mannequin.

Seriously, I am in contact with a company that has expressed interest in making these. I would be looking for the group to decide on a suitable pose and price and then we could go at it.

However, based off your comments and what the price would most likely be can I assume it's your opinion this would be a tough sell? I'm just trying to generate interest or see if there is any interest.

At some point I will be displaying my armor on a killer shooter pose like the promotional ANH pics and I thought others would like this too. Similar to the Don Post lifesize trooper, but with accurate trooper armor.

There are two downsides to this concept - price and space. The footprint would be much larger than what you guess posted.

An alternative to lower cost and less space would be to do a "cool" stance pose, that traditional mannequins don't offer either.

---------

I think it comes down to how serious the collector is. The prices you are quoting are out of my price range for what I was willing to spend on a mannequin, but I am just looking for something to sit my office with my R2D2. If I had a bigger room and a fatter wallet, I could afford to be more particular about the type of mannequin I want. For what I want the links that were posted here meet my needs and budget.

Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13