BlueGrot's TE2 mod [*TE2]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take your time with your mods, we are in no rush to see any results..

Ā 

star-wars-smiley-6458.gif Eagerness is the quicker way for a build or mod to turn to the darkside.star-wars-smiley-6458.gif Twisted and evil it can get, so take your time....

Ā 

Ā 

BTW, be careful when using the heat gun.

Ā 

If you have question or need advice, just post. :salute:

I have some questions:

Ā 

1. Is it common to make a detachable butt & crotch? Sitting and going to the loo might be a large hassle if not.

Ā 

2. The sides of the crotch is gnawing at my inner thighs. Am I fitting it wrong or is this something that needs to be trimmet out?

I have some questions:

Ā 

1. Is it common to make a detachable butt & crotch? Sitting and going to the loo might be a large hassle if not.

Ā 

2. The sides of the crotch is gnawing at my inner thighs. Am I fitting it wrong or is this something that needs to be trimmet out?

Ā 

Answer to Q1:

Ā 

Very common for troopers to split the crotch/cod area from the AB area. Also detaching (un-snap) the butt plate for more compfortable when sitting or using the men's room.

Ā 

ABcod.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Answer to Q2:

Ā 

It maybe the way you are wearing it or it could be that the area was not trimmed properly. If you can post a close up pic of that section of armor, we can diagnose if it needs trimming or not or if it is just the way you are wearing it.

I have taken some better pics but found I've misplaced the cable, will upload pics as soon as I get a new one. The solvent based glue I tried to use on the snap buttons on plastic plates didn't work, so now I've gotten a two component epoxy glue and some more magnets for it to glue overnight. Have bought velcro strips to properly fit the shins. I'll wait with the larger intrusive tasks until I feel ready and when I feel they are the last big task to complete.

ftja7l.jpg

Ā 

Here is the crotch area and I'm now fairly sure it's not as trimmed out as it should be. The butt piece clearly needs more trimming as there is a mold line. No mold line on the crotch however but it does turn from a clear texture to a rougher one, outlining what the crotch piece is. I am also fitting a harness to the entire ab/chest section to raise this up, further alleviating the problem.

With your cod piece, you could get away with trimming a little bit off of it, about 5mm off of the bottom edge. Before doing that, you might need to extend the elastic that connects the butt plate to the cod piece. If the elastic is too short it will make the armor bind on you, thus rubbbing and pinching will occur.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Also, I see that your butt plate could be trimmed back a bit. The area that has like a shawdow line around it, should not be there. The TE2 suits were derived from an original ROTJ suit. The original ROTJ suits were trimmed back to that point. The material that is left there is overkill and most people make the mistake of leaving it there. Or, if you wanted to make it really uber ANH,(The original ANH butt plate has a return edge) To make the return edge, you will need a hobby iron. (see the video below and links below about return edges).

Ā 

To see where I am talking about for the butt plate, see the pic below. The red dotted line is where the butt plate should actually be trimmed for that armor:

Ā 

TE2-1-1.jpg

Ā 

See the video of How To make a return edge, using a hobby iron:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

More information about return edges at this Link: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=12972

Ā 

BTW, here is how much I would say you could take off the cod area. Make sure you taper the edge to blend like the red dotted line is in the pic below:

Ā 

TE2cod-1.jpg

What's a hobby iron?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

It is a Sealing Iron used for RC planes to smooth out and seal the material the covers them :

Ā 

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN101

Edited by RogueTrooper

I have one of those. How does this help with armor?

Ā 

Thanks

Ā 

The sealing iron or also known as a hobby iron is used to help when are needing to make a return edge after trimming a part of the armor. The return edge gives certain parts of the armor the 3 dimensional look to them like the tops of the thigh armor to give you one of the many points of the armor that have return edges.

Ā 

You can find out a lot more at this link about the sealing/hobby iron.

Ā 

Ā 

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=12972

Ā 

Ā 

Do me a big favor Jason, lets not go to far with any other questions and hijack Helge BlueGrot's TE2 mod. Lets keep him on target and if you have anymore questions, please start a new topic :duim: I think everybody here will jump in and give you their help and advice. :)

The calfs were narrowed down to perfect size by adding another strip of velcro to the insides, so instead of a butt joined seam they now look like the stunt ones that were held together by air and wishful thinking. The thighs on screen accurate armor are a bit to big for my lean build, but I think some padding will help, as will padding on the straight one of the arms, it's rocking a bit around at the moment. I've added a nylon strip with snap buttons between the ab and chest and now it doesn't rise above the ab plate. Wooo! If I had more clamps and magnets I could do more of this, but I kind of like doing one small step at a time. Next up is getting elastic between the shoulders and biceps.

Some new pics. Were supposed to be with a better camera, but as it had no battery, a cell cam had to do as I was already suited up.

Ā 

180479_10150135546016280_546546279_8285469_2711785_n.jpg

Ā 

Here, the chest isn't very well attached, and I'm raising the belt to avoid a gap. This however makes the butt and kidney piece ride too far down. I'm thinking a bigger piece of elastic between the crotch and butt to try to alleviate this. Something has to be done here before I know how much shimming is needed to gap between kidney and back.

Ā 

168749_10150135545956280_546546279_8285468_2004517_n.jpg

Ā 

Here you see the same pose showing the gap between the kidney and back. The butt piece also seems too big, but some strapping can be installed I guess.

Ā 

167508_10150135546091280_546546279_8285472_5231121_n.jpg

Gratuitous action shot, and the damn flared bicep riding up the shoulder piece. Haven't gotten around to strapping those two together.

Ā 

Right arm piece is off because it's not fitted and rattles around. I've also only roughly stretched the shoulder straps, as I'm not sure where to leave the chest piece. From these pics I recon that it can sit lower than it does?