TE selling his molds

GINO

gino had nothing to do with molding an original. He has never seen one, handled one or assisted in procuring one. he tried to low ball the seller of the SFS helmet and was told to sod off with his friend dave. thanking gino is nothing more than saying it is ok to steal, which is how he came into the 2nd gen castings he has in his possession of the ANH helmet.

But you are welcome from me, and yes.. I know it is all my fault. I wanted nothing more than to offer castings from what I was finally able to find after 17 years. Greed has nothing to do with my decisions. ASk the person selling his stolen helmets for $850 while I offer better helmets, same material as the movie helmets for 1/4 that price. THATS greed.

End of line...

Yes, I would have to agree with you about Gino's pricing. He does great work, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I cant see anyone with good sense spending that kinda money for a "mask" heeeheee. It does rival yours in detail, no offense. He is great at painting and emulating the original. Using the thinner material is what gives them greater detail than yours. Its definitely a model though, not to be worn at any time.

I wish that I could have bought an original bumpy cap n back TE when I had the chance. I almost bought one of your last sets of TE armor and helmet, but couldnt afford it. Hell, I still cant. But I WISH!!!!

Clearly you don't understand.

I know for a fact certain 'cast from original' props HAVE indeed been held back from being offered due to that line of thinking.... Its very dissapointing to see, as some of the cooler props will most likely never see the light of day.

To think that everyone will stop offering up stolen recasts from originals because they are being recast is rather foolish in my opinion.

Perhaps not all 'original recasts' are held back. However in some cases it DOES affect the product. Take the V2 Gino's for example. Even though they are extremely expensive, and not offered to the masses. The inside is lined with resin/glue to prevent recasters. IMO that ruins it from an "all out" accuracy stand point.

These things may not bother, or effect you. But they do affect the ppl going for all out accuracy.

I'm of many minds about this larger issue. I'll try to mush it all together into one (somewhat) cogent response...

Because of the necessities of making a film or TV series, the props are often not able to stand up to close scrutiny. Go to the Star Trek Experience in Vegas, and look at the props and costume pieces they have on display there. About the biggest exception I've ever seen is the work WETA did on Lord of the Rings and Narnia. Sweet Jesus, those are guys after my own heart. I take what the wardrobe and prop people did (usually) as a decent starting place to get things "more accurate than the filmed version". *heh* By which I mean, accurate to the fictional universe it's supposed to represent.

I even have a long-term project to try and make a working gyrojet firearm out of Deckard's gun from Blade Runner.

How this applies to Star Wars and the issue here? I never liked the F/X armour, as it was obvious even to a newbie that it wasn't film-accurate. The T*E armour was my first exposure to someone doing a recast of a film prop, and to me that was the almost-holy grail. If I got that I would have not been satisfied until I'd "fixed" those production errors that are such a hallmark of the costume -- bumpy casting, warped plastic, the divot in the one lens frame, etc., and gotten the thing trued and balanced and symmetrical (except for the things that aren't supposed to be), and can call it perfect. *heh*

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't consider recast props to be the end-all of this hobby, but the best reference one can have to "get it right". My personal feeling on the matter is one of civic duty. If, for example, I come up with an original prop, figure out how to spiff it up to look good up close and personal, it's pretty much be my responsibility to make it available to others who might be looking for the same thing. And that I'd only want to be compensated for materials used, time spent, and any expertise involved in making the bloody thing.

Not saying all of this justifies the name-calling, but I have felt the impulse to climb through the monitor and throttle someone, myself. ;) It's tough to stay filial when you feel your integrity is being challenged, rightly or wrongly.

--Jonah

I'm of many minds about this larger issue. I'll try to mush it all together into one (somewhat) cogent response...

Because of the necessities of making a film or TV series, the props are often not able to stand up to close scrutiny. Go to the Star Trek Experience in Vegas, and look at the props and costume pieces they have on display there. About the biggest exception I've ever seen is the work WETA did on Lord of the Rings and Narnia. Sweet Jesus, those are guys after my own heart. I take what the wardrobe and prop people did (usually) as a decent starting place to get things "more accurate than the filmed version". *heh* By which I mean, accurate to the fictional universe it's supposed to represent.

I even have a long-term project to try and make a working gyrojet firearm out of Deckard's gun from Blade Runner.

How this applies to Star Wars and the issue here? I never liked the F/X armour, as it was obvious even to a newbie that it wasn't film-accurate. The T*E armour was my first exposure to someone doing a recast of a film prop, and to me that was the almost-holy grail. If I got that I would have not been satisfied until I'd "fixed" those production errors that are such a hallmark of the costume -- bumpy casting, warped plastic, the divot in the one lens frame, etc., and gotten the thing trued and balanced and symmetrical (except for the things that aren't supposed to be), and can call it perfect. *heh*

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't consider recast props to be the end-all of this hobby, but the best reference one can have to "get it right". My personal feeling on the matter is one of civic duty. If, for example, I come up with an original prop, figure out how to spiff it up to look good up close and personal, it's pretty much be my responsibility to make it available to others who might be looking for the same thing. And that I'd only want to be compensated for materials used, time spent, and any expertise involved in making the bloody thing.

Not saying all of this justifies the name-calling, but I have felt the impulse to climb through the monitor and throttle someone, myself. ;) It's tough to stay filial when you feel your integrity is being challenged, rightly or wrongly.

--Jonah

thats a pretty cool observation :) nicely written :duim:

• 2 weeks later...