Installing a hard hat suspension

My armor is en route to me, in the meantime I swung by Home Depot to pick up a few odds n ends. I purchased an inexpensive yellow hard hat (I think it was around $7) simply for the suspension which I plan on installing in my trooper lid. The suspension is worth the price by itself as it is adjustable and has a comfortable sweat band.

I have a rather small head, measuring 22 1/2" around. I'm not sure what to expect as far as size of the interior of the trooper helmet but wanted to start the ball rolling as far as recommendations and suggestions for securely installing such a suspension inside the helmet.

If the inside circuference of the helmet is larger than the pre-adjusted size of the suspension, my initial thought would be to glue plastic block "shims between the helmet wall and the suspension to compensate for the difference in size.

I will know more when my kit arrives but it never hurts to look ahead.

What I bought was a yellow hard hat from a company called Safety Works - if anyone is familiar with installing a suspension I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Links welcome to appropriate threads.

Cio

I haven't built a TK bucket yet, but I put a hard hat suspension in my Tusken Raider helmet. In the second Tusken helmet I'm building, and in a future TK build, I will not be using one again. It has some benefits of allowing airflow around the top of your head. But it's annoying to install and get in the right position so that everything sits at the right level. I'll just be doing the old method of foam and chinstrap. But I have a big head, so you might have better luck. :lol:

• 1 year later...
First purchased a 3M Standard Hard Hat for $6.49 @ Lowe's. I will be removing the suspension liner from inside the helmet and will be cutting out the portions of the helmet in which the liner snaps in to.

--------

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 
Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

is it just me or does industrial strength velcro seem like a great idea? velcro allows for fine adjustments and you dont have to deal with glue settings times or missing your spot to glue. especially with tabs to deal with and what not. it seems more forgiving for such an important fit.

I hot glue my ROTJ suspension liners in. Just make sure you hold a wet rag or sponge on the outside to where you are gluing so the plastic doesn't warp. That's how the originals were done. Either that or epoxy. Just don't use any glue that is going to melt the plastic.