HDPE HELP PLEASE, colour available for UK

Hi all,

Can anyone give me a a make of paint for a colour match to HDPE thats available UK.

I can mix an enamel or acrylic one and spray thorugh my airbrush, the only concern is that i want to use Halfords appliance white and it may bubble the paint I have added if I do this.

My worse case is that i apply enamel white spray on top instead of Halfords but wondered if there was a good match that Halfords can be applied to.

Also am I correct in that the white for a HDPE should be more egg shell than really glossy.

Many thanks as always

gra

There is not really an exact paint color (off the shelf) that would match the HDPE from the original lids. What you will have to do is get something like Humbrol enamel and try to mix some greys, greens and browns to get an olive color khaki.

Concerning the white, it is just regular gloss white. I don't think the sheen to it was eggshell. I think over time, the helmets that we are seeing now have lost some of their lustre, thus giving a different sheen.

You can use Enamel over lacquer, but using lacquer on top of enamel can soften it / make bubbles, etc.

I used Krylon camouflage satin tan as an undercoat and it has a very tan /green look to it, very much like HPDE.

I was using Plastikote Grey Beige Super Satin for HDPE base coats on my helmets. It was a good colour but they no longer produce Plastikote products (they went bust apparently). I am looking around for another option now.

I was shown this paint to use from Stuka, but haven't tried it yet: -----

I'm not sure what he said the best colour was though?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

On 1/7/2011 at 5:19 PM, troopermaster said:

I was using Plastikote Grey Beige Super Satin for HDPE base coats on my helmets. It was a good colour but they no longer produce Plastikote products (they went bust apparently). I am looking around for another option now.

I was shown this paint to use from Stuka, but haven't tried it yet: 

I'm not sure what he said the best colour was though?

Hi Paul many thanks,

I also was given your ref to Platikote Warm Grey by Pappy on MEPD.

Many thanks as I managed to get this from the Plasti-kote site

WARM GREY SATIN - NEW

uBmnH6y.jpg

Its a great source and thanks to you and Pappy.

Is this the one you mean on here and have you used both, they look very close

GREY BEIGE SUPER SATIN 2118- PLASTI-KOTE

ih7YwLS.jpg

Both look close

All the best

Hi Graham,

Obviously it's hard to comment based on a colour which appears on my monitor - it might be totally different in reality - but both look too brown to my eyes.

There's a definite green tinge to the HDPE on the original helmets. Admittedly, this is all viewed on my computer screen and not in person but I think a more greyish-khaki might be closer.

Having said that, I've recently been trying out paintwork on a helmet I built and in the end I just used beige universal primer to mimic the HDPE and it looks OK on the small areas which are supposed to represent the paint chips.

Product:

Universalgrundierung-400ml_04.jpg