Helmet modding

BlueGrot

Hi! I'm gonna make a presentation thread in the new members-subforum, but first I'd like to ask if anyone has ever modded the hovi mic tips to actually work as microphones? I'm probably gonna invest in a helmet first. I find myself quite handy with tools, and have rudimentary electronics skills + friends who can help, so I wanted to try to make a reasonably functioning. In canon the hovi mic tips are functioning speakers? I figured I'd do like others and have a chest mounted speaker pack, which can be combined with a battery pack to power the phantom power on a condenser mic in one of the hovi tips.

e.g.------ and power it with a rolls pb224, ---- This would then be connected to an preamp with earpiece. Either a cheap xlr preamp with 1/4" or 1/8" output or construct a circuit myself, simple preamps are easy.

Mounted inside the belt. Also figured I'd add some fans inside the helmet with a potentiometer for fan speed.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Your best IMO vox kit is the RomFX, ---- It's loud, clear and gives you the static clicks. Combine this with a pair of ---- and you'll have a great set up..... :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Yes mate, I'm a massive advocate of it.

I don't like the 'tradional' in hovi solution as the speakers are too small.

I prefer to make a mod to the helemt and hovi mic tip so the speaker is actually behind the hovi

I sell the speakers and some nice vac formed caps to cover the speakers up too

XByLtcb.jpg

SpeakerTutorial.gif

kfRKIgb.jpg

vHcjSL0.jpg

Much better sound and way better at talking to the public than a speaker on your belt, chest isn't too bad, but in lid speakers are :dancing-trooper:

I've always though the the best looking and functional would be behind the vocoder black thing. Cutting through the vocoder - straight lines - would allow for a speaker placement, one like the one provided by the Rom/FX kit, as big as that one or a tad smaller. And place it in the vocoder hollow space.

I wonder why no one seems to have tried it?

I've always though the the best looking and functional would be behind the vocoder black thing. Cutting through the vocoder - straight lines - would allow for a speaker placement, one like the one provided by the Rom/FX kit, as big as that one or a tad smaller. And place it in the vocoder hollow space.

I wonder why no one seems to have tried it?

Doesnt seem like a bad idea, cutting a grill in the vocoder piece, and then covering it with some fine black cloth from the inside.